[meteorite-list] Meteor crater?

From: Roman Nakonechny <uraninut239__at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:53 2004

Yo Tom,
         I was going to go out there myself a couple of years back and one
of the two top meteorite dealers in the world , I forget which, told me that
he went out there at night and got nabbed by security personnelin a SUV who
have sophisticated equipment to listen for the tell-tale signature
frequencies of operating metal detectors. They zeroed in on his "sorry
-lookin" asspergum with homing directional antennae- like when biologists
are homing for tagged and trasmitting endangered animals- but the
electronics are tuned to metal detector transmit signals. They have night
vision scopes, the works. It's not like it used to be , even 5yrs. ago. Just
walking around in the blue sky Arizona daylight and looking for wind
-erosion unearthed meteorites- the SECURITY people , if they spot you, will
check your backpack, especially if you have a shovel the size of a backhoe
and are trying to lie your way out of it. The OFF-LIMITS PERIMETER is 6 mls.
around Meteor Crater . Hell, you could find a non- Canyon Diablo Stone
Meteorite and they will confiscate it, and your backhoe, and your $800.00
Whites metal detector- and you'll spend a night in the nearby jail. This
particular dealer went home unnerved at the security attack on him and the
jail ing. But at night- they know what your there for man, and it aint to
poach tarantulas or antellope. As far as impact angle of entry, and it's my
opinion, a beautiful and symmetrical circle- of -a -crater and the near
deposition of after-
impact iron tells me it was a direct hit - 90*degrees straight up from
horizontal ground. I'm curious too about the angle of entry and we have
people on our List who might be more informed about the impact dynamics at
Meteor Crater .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* Good Luck If You Go Tom.
                                       Roman ( IMCA #0583)