[meteorite-list] "Odd ball" non-standard petrologic slides on eBay

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:52 2004

Humm,

I did not realize that is what they were doing and
that would explain why the specimen is off center. It
was centered when the 1x3 inch was made and then they
cut it. But even then cutting a 1 x 3 inch slide does
not make it even close to standard, 1 13/16" x 1 1/16"
x .062"

And this is being done for sheer profit?

These slides need to be at the industry standard.
Exactly the way that petrologic slides have been made
for over a hundred years. They are certainly not
simple microscope slides, whole or cut in half to
maximize profit. These must fit standard petrologic
slide equipment to be useful scientifically.

So, now that I understand. I certainly will not
consider any of these "non standards" for my growing
slide collection, regardless of how "cheap" they might
be.

(Besides, they would never work with my polarizer
which is set for "standard" sized petrologic slides)

Steve Schoner/ams
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey