[meteorite-list] Ad - New Very Cool Chondrite

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:52 2004

Dear List Members,

We decided to do a second rare material auction this week as promised. We
were not going to release NWA 1283 until we confirmed its pairing status
with another stone that looks very similar. Another dealer sent us an image
of a stone that looks identical which is currently being studied. Since the
other stone is in another dealer's possession we can not report an accurate
TKW until a pairing status is either confirmed or denied which might take
months. We have been holding on to this material for over two years now in
hopes of finding more because it is so beautiful.

We would have never guessed it was an L3.7 because it looks better than some
3.3s we have seen, there is no matrix and the metal is very sparse. This
thing is choked full of chondrules unlike some LL3.7s we have seen showing
the importance of having a NomCom approved lab test material. You do not
know what you are getting until a lab has submitted the end results. For
those of you who did not get a chance to see the unaltered image, here is
the link again:

http://www.lunarrock.com/11-20/dsc00001.jpg

NWA 1283 Beautiful L3.7 Meteorite

NWA 1283 is a Fs5-18, L3.7, S1 chondrite found in Northwest Africa 2001.
This beautiful chondrite has sharp multi-colored chondrules scattered
throughout a non existent matrix. L3.7 subtypes are somewhat rare and one
that displays this nice is uncommon. With a low Total Known Weight (TKW) of
only 44 grams there is not much of this classified meteorite to go around.
We spend a great deal of time preparing these meteorites for collectors,
institutions and scientists. We polish both sides when applicable because
we feel there should be no signs of saw marks ruining the appearance of an
otherwise collectable specimen. The last step in preparing each piece is to
dry it using pure ethyl alcohol and a heat lamp, creating a very stable
piece that resists oxidation. A great deal of offerings seen on eBay have
not been properly prepared as can be seen by the lack of polishing, oxide
staining and no classification data. There is no guarantee that some of
these other offerings are even meteorites without proper classification by
an authorized scientific institution making them worth far less than these
classified specimens.

We will be posting seven specimens tonight on eBay including full slices,
all starting at just 99 cents. We will be loading this newly announced
meteorite tonight so check this link later on:

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/meteoritelab/

Be sure to check this link later this evening.
Thank you for looking and if you are bidding, good luck!

All the best,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
IMCA 2185