[meteorite-list] Misleading Images, a Real Problem

From: Rob Wesel <nakhladog_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:51 2004

I can shed some light on this one as One of these is mine. 1936 is a single
stone with many owners and was recently purchased in Morocco. It was known
right away that it was a looker and Marlin Cilz of Montana Meteorite Lab was
commissioned to prepare the slices. The small piece I have on eBay right now
was not finished out, it was simply a remnant I received to "make weight" on
my share of ownership. The slice Mike had up WAS PREPARED to a mirror
polish. See my photo of the same on Yahoo
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J26B12196 . It is so highly polished that I had
to turn the lights way down to even come close. That is why I offered to
100%+ money back offer with the sale of these pieces. Seeing Mikes photo
here it is beyond obvious that it was enhanced and quite out of the usual
character of Mikes usual skill as this was a bugger to photograph.
Furthermore, when holding to finished next to the unfinished, they do not
compare. Felt I had to defend this one a bit as my Yahoo photo looks very
different than my eBay photo of the same.

Rob Wesel
We are the music makers...
and we are the dreamers of the dreams.
Willy Wonka, 1971