[meteorite-list] chixculub survivability

From: william anderson <castlewh1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:49 2004

Hi Dave,, regarding your post to Mike F., I have to
agree with Mike. In my opinion the material has no
chance to survive after all this time, being what it
is. As a mining engineer and geologist I've spent a
lifetime mining gold from tertiary gravels. At 30
million years old, the only things in the old channels
are the gold,, silica sand and gravel, and mud,,,,
huge volumes of mud. Well, it would be mud if water
was mixed with it. It represents everything else that
used to exist as rock type material. Even the slate
bedrock is decomposed. This is in an environment
locked and buried away from erosion, air and motion.
If you can casually pick up material from the surface
as was represented by the so called met collector, the
weathering activity in such a horizon would be such as
to make it impossible to put those millions of years
of age on something that is weathering prone. Just my
opinion, but it is borne of decades of observation.

Nice day to you and the list,,, Bill Anderson