[meteorite-list] [meteorite-list]rusting question

From: PolandMET.com <PolandMET.com_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:47 2004

> I am new collector of meteorites and I have a question.
> Can a lubricant such as WD-40 or breakfree be used on iron meteorite to
> protect them from rust? Or will this hurt them?
> Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hello
WD-40 is RUST REMOVER, so You can use it on RUST FREE pieces to protect them from
air/moisture.
But if You use it on rusty Nantan/Campo etc, WD-40 will start his work like a Rust removed
and can damage specimen. Rust flakes will be broken from specimen, specimen can sweel or
something like this.
I prefer normall, technical oil to protect iron specimens if its nesesery.

http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin_at_meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin_at_polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM +48(607)535 195
--------[ Member of: Polish Meteoritical Society ]--------