[meteorite-list] Chicxulub Meteorite

From: magellon <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:46 2004

--------------39380E7667DB140E2D84FB8C

Dave,

A better example is here: (more ridiculous excuses)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2200664192

I wrote Mr. Shomin and asked how he got the material.
he wrote: "I took a trip to cancun, then took a car trip to Chicxulub -& used
a magnet for final separation fron beach sand, then did a nickel test at home.
Magnification reveales more detail like shiny metal flakes & metal balls
from heat - most samples have native soil stuck to it, my results are open
to the jugdement of others with better equipment. While i do have a
2 week return policy if any customer would complain i would refund at any time.

Fair? If you can get a hold of better equipment i would be willing to send
you a free sample for evaluation. Bernie M-M"

I suggested (1) tell the truth to the bidders and (2) send a sample to NEMS
to first verify if was meteoritic.
He added the addendum but didn't send any to NEMS.
(He indicated it was because he had less than a gram)
Sorry, he should have done this before putting any up for sale.
So there is no meteoritic verification, much less an actual Chicxulub meteorite

as advertised.

Secondly, Steve Schoner found this article saying that drill samplings show
that
the meteorite was probably a carbonaceous chondrite.
Even this small sample was fossilized. There is no proof that
any original meteorite still exits other than the iridium layer.
 http://www.nature.com/nsu/981126/981126-1.html

Best,
ken newton

Dave Harris wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I would be grateful for a bit of input re this eBAy item below.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3239&item=2200663512
>
> What has impressed me is that there is no Frass rant, or BCC rant or Mo
> Yousef insistance. This is a good start for a scientific discussion as
> already we haven't got our backs up over this!
>
> thoughts please!!!
>
> very best
>
> dave
>
> IMCA #0092