[meteorite-list] Arkansas fall report

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:45 2004

--0-805655410-1068249771=:79587

Mike,

Find the trajectory, looking for the direction, and the zenith for the termination of the fireball. If you can find witnesses that reported it overhead when it last exploded, beneath that spot, meteorites should be found. Also, reports of sounds after the fireball should be for the "rushing" "whistling" the sound of "shells" falling, or a whole number of sounds. Find people that heard that, then you will know that you are close.

Sonic booms on the other hand are often not heard in the actual place where the meteorites fall. Something to do with the way that sonic booms propagate to the ground beneath the fireball, that often prevents such sounds being heard. Sonic booms can be heard 50 or more miles away from the impact site, so if you are getting reports of that then you are close.

Steve Schoner/ams

meteoritehunter_at_comcast.net wrote:
Hi everyone, I just got back from the "scene" of the first reported piece of the Monday night Arkansas fall.
The piece that recieved so much news attention is a 200 gram fragment of slag. Not a meteorite as the finder so adamantly kept telling me because "the scientists and TV reporters said so".
When I saw that a piece was reported found, I decided to jump on the next and last plane out of Tucson, I had merely 45 minutes from booking to get on the plane! I got to Arkansas on standby late last night and drove to my friend Gary Loyd's house. He has a new baby, my godson, so I found this a sufficient excuse to come whether or not the meteorite was real. He lives an hour and 45 minutes from Palastine.
Anyway, the reports from the people there are that monday night a huge lightshow and explosion were heard, then many following booms, and people in Joneboro 45 minutes to the north saw the meteorite break up into many pieces as it headed south- southeast. That does put it exactly in line with Palastine where I went today.
Does anyone know how close you should be to the fall site if sonic booms are heard?
The area is prime for hunting, mostly large farms and almost all are barren right now, having been harvested for the winter. There are without a doubt alot of meteorites on the ground somewhere in that area, and hopefully some farmer will find some true meteorites.
Ill spend the weekend here waiting to see if anything else turns up, but so far, no cigar.
Mike Farmer
Meteoritehunter.

--0-805655410-1068249771=:79587

<DIV>Mike,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Find the trajectory, looking for the direction, and the zenith for the termination of the fireball.&nbsp; If you can find witnesses that reported it overhead when it last exploded, beneath that spot, meteorites should be found.&nbsp;&nbsp; Also, reports of sounds after the fireball should be for the "rushing" "whistling"&nbsp; the sound of "shells" falling, or a whole number of sounds.&nbsp; Find people that heard that, then you will know that you are close.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Sonic booms on the other hand are often not heard in the actual place where the meteorites fall.&nbsp; Something to do with the way that&nbsp;sonic booms propagate to the ground beneath the fireball, that often prevents such sounds being heard.&nbsp;&nbsp; Sonic booms can be heard 50 or more miles away from the impact site,&nbsp; so if you are getting reports of that then you are close.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Steve Schoner/ams</DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR><B><I>meteoritehunter_at_comcast.net</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Hi everyone, I just got back from the "scene" of the first reported piece of the Monday night Arkansas fall. <BR>The piece that recieved so much news attention is a 200 gram fragment of slag. Not a meteorite as the finder so adamantly kept telling me because "the scientists and TV reporters said so". <BR>When I saw that a piece was reported found, I decided to jump on the next and last plane out of Tucson, I had merely 45 minutes from booking to get on the plane! I got to Arkansas on standby late last night and drove to my friend Gary Loyd's house. He has a new baby, my godson, so I found this a sufficient excuse to come whether or not the meteorite was real. He lives an hour and 45 minutes from Palastine. <BR>Anyway, the reports from the people there are that monday night a huge lightshow and explosion were heard, then many following booms, and people in Joneboro 45 minutes to the
 north saw the meteorite break up into many pieces as it headed south- southeast. That does put it exactly in line with Palastine where I went today. <BR>Does anyone know how close you should be to the fall site if sonic booms are heard? <BR>The area is prime for hunting, mostly large farms and almost all are barren right now, having been harvested for the winter. There are without a doubt alot of meteorites on the ground somewhere in that area, and hopefully some farmer will find some true meteorites. <BR>Ill spend the weekend here waiting to see if anything else turns up, but so far, no cigar. <BR>Mike Farmer<BR>Meteoritehunter.<BR><BR>______________________________________________<BR>Meteorite-list mailing list<BR>Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com<BR>http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list</BLOCKQUOTE><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-805655410-1068249771=:79587--