[meteorite-list] NP Article, La Paz and Space Station

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:45 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0055_01C3A514.BDFD7820

Paper: Times Recorder =20
City: Zanesville, Ohio =20
Date: Tuesday, March 23, 1954
Page: 13

First Nation Building Space Station Rules, Says Scientist

ALBUQUERQUE, March 23 - The United States "better get on the ball quickly=
" if it is not already working on a "station in space." says Dr. Lincoln =
La Paz.
La Paz, director of the University of New Mexico's Institute of Meteoriti=
cs, published a mathematical discussion on nearby earth satellites natura=
l and artificial in the January - February, 1954, issue of The Publicatio=
ns Of The Astronomical Society of The Pacific.
He wrote on employing such satellites to test Einstein's theory of relati=
vity.

Military Use

But La Paz is concerned with military use of such bodies. In dead earnest=
ness, he declares:
"The nation first establishing a station in space will win absolute contr=
ol of the earth.
"If the Russians do it first, we and the rest of the world will become ju=
st as tractable as they want us to be."
La Paz called "Mr. Fireball of Albuquerque," is an expert on meteors and =
meteorites. He has spent his scientific life searching for and studying t=
he cosmic masses which survive flight through the atmosphere and crash in=
to the earth.
La Paz brought Clyde Tombaugh who discovered Pluto, the ninth major plane=
t, in 1930, to the University of New Mexico in 1946 but soon lost him to =
White Sands proving Ground.

Search For Moons

At White Sands Tombaugh has since organized a search for small near-by mo=
ons which may be orbiting undetected about the earth.
If Timbaugh's search for a small near-by satellite - say 1,000 miles up -=
 is successful. La Paz, believes it can be manned as a station i space."
"Using such natural stations would save many billions of dollars of taxpa=
yer's money which would otherwise have to be spent building an artificial=
 satellite vehicle.

"An Ideal Site"

"Hauling materials a thousand miles up in rocket-powered missiles would c=
ost more than boondoggling,"
How would a space station achieve absolute military domination of the ear=
th?
"First," La Paz answers, "by providing an ideal site from which to keep h=
ostile areas under telescopic and radar scrutiny. Such a station would sp=
eed around the earth every two hours.
"Second, if retaliation becomes necessary, by employing the station in sp=
ace as a site from which to lauch missiles armed with atomic or hydrogen =
warheads."
La Paz takes issue with those who regard as premature considering making =
military bases out of any moons that may be found in Tombaught's hunt for=
 natural satellites.
Dr. Ervin Bramball, Army Ordnance research chief, in comment on Tombaugh'=
s satellite search, said. "It's a little premature to be talking about sp=
ace stations...although maybe we'd be thinking of such things in about fi=
ve years."

Stations In Space

La Paz says:
"As long ago as the 1920's Hermann Oberth in Germany clearly pointed out =
the military potential of stations in space. Other nations have been thin=
king of occupying such states for 25 years."
The United States, he said, got Wernher von Braun, under whom the V-2 roc=
ket was developed at the Nazis' Peenemunde center. But the Russians captu=
red the great majority of the Peenemunde rocket experts and have long had=
 control of the German rocket bases along the Baltic.
"We simply cannot safely discount the progress that German rocket and spa=
ce scientists may have made." says La Paz.
"Also," he declares, "Russia study of meteoritics is much better systemat=
ized and far better finances than here.
Co Operation "Essential"

"The Meteorite Committee of the Academy of Sciences of the U.S.S.R. has t=
he backing of the Russian Goverment. The Russians, profiting from the gre=
atest meteorite fall in recent times - that of 1947, near Viadivostok - h=
ave been extraordinarily successful in getting wholehearted co-operation =
in its publications.
"Such co-operation is essential to the meteoriticist, for he must find th=
e meteorites he studies wherever they may happen to fall."
At White Sands, which missile research makes the spot on earth closest to=
 space, the acknowledged rocket altitude record is only 250 miles. This w=
as achieved by a two-stage rocket - a V-2 from which a smaller rocket was=
 launched near the peak of the V-2's straight up flight.
La Paz concedes there are many separate problems to solve before real spa=
ce flight is possible.

Cites Hazards

Such hazards as space dust, meteorite impact, and cosmic ray bombardment =
must be overcome. These and the problems of mere existence in zero gravit=
y are not to taken lightly, he says.
Fuels producing necessary power and metals able to resist almost incredib=
le temperatures much be produced.
No one man or group of men should attempt to solve the many obstacles blo=
cking the road to space. But La Paz contends that organzied direction, as=
 in the Manhattan Project which produced the atom bomb, will achieve the =
step-by-step progress required.
"We should be working in the same carefully organized way to establish th=
e first station in space.
"Such a station - providing us excelled observation and armed with atomic=
 or hydrogen missiles - could be a modern sword of Damocles, forever thre=
atening but forever insuring peace on earth." =20

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_0055_01C3A514.BDFD7820

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><B><FONT size=3D=
2> <P>Paper: Times Recorder </P> <P>City: Zanesville, Ohio </P> <P>Date: =
Tuesday, March 23, 1954</P> <P>Page: 13</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>First Nation=
 Building Space Station Rules, Says Scientist</P> <P>&nbsp;</P></B> <P>AL=
BUQUERQUE, March 23 - The United States "better get on the ball quickly" =
if it is not already working on a "station in space." says Dr. Lincoln La=
 Paz.</P> <P>La Paz, director of the University of New Mexico's Institute=
 of Meteoritics, published a mathematical discussion on nearby earth sate=
llites natural and artificial in the January - February, 1954, issue of T=
he Publications Of The Astronomical Society of The Pacific.</P> <P>He wro=
te on employing such satellites to test Einstein's theory of relativity.<=
/P> <P>&nbsp;</P><B> <P>Military Use</P></B> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>But La Paz =
is concerned with military use of such bodies. In dead earnestness, he de=
clares:</P> <P>"The nation first establishing a station in space will win=
 absolute control of the earth.</P> <P>"If the Russians do it first, we a=
nd the rest of the world will become just as tractable as they want us to=
 be."</P> <P>La Paz called "Mr. Fireball of Albuquerque," is an expert on=
 meteors and meteorites. He has spent his scientific life searching for a=
nd studying the cosmic masses which survive flight through the atmosphere=
 and crash into the earth.</P> <P>La Paz brought Clyde Tombaugh who disco=
vered Pluto, the ninth major planet, in 1930, to the University of New Me=
xico in 1946 but soon lost him to White Sands proving Ground.</P> <P>&nbs=
p;</P><B> <P>Search For Moons</P></B> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>At White Sands Tom=
baugh has since organized a search for small near-by moons which may be o=
rbiting undetected about the earth.</P> <P>If Timbaugh's search for a sma=
ll near-by satellite - say 1,000 miles up - is successful. La Paz, believ=
es it can be manned as a station i space."</P> <P>"Using such natural sta=
tions would save many billions of dollars of taxpayer's money which would=
 otherwise have to be spent building an artificial satellite vehicle.</P>=
 <P>&nbsp;</P><B> <P>"An Ideal Site"</P></B> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>"Hauling ma=
terials a thousand miles up in rocket-powered missiles would cost more th=
an boondoggling,"</P> <P>How would a space station achieve absolute milit=
ary domination of the earth?</P> <P>"First," La Paz answers, "by providin=
g an ideal site from which to keep hostile areas under telescopic and rad=
ar scrutiny. Such a station would speed around the earth every two hours.=
</P> <P>"Second, if retaliation becomes necessary, by employing the stati=
on in space as a site from which to lauch missiles armed with atomic or h=
ydrogen warheads."</P> <P>La Paz takes issue with those who regard as pre=
mature considering making military bases out of any moons that may be fou=
nd in Tombaught's hunt for natural satellites.</P> <P>Dr. Ervin Bramball,=
 Army Ordnance research chief, in comment on Tombaugh's satellite search,=
 said. "It's a little premature to be talking about space stations...alth=
ough maybe we'd be thinking of such things in about five years."</P> <P>&=
nbsp;</P><B> <P>Stations In Space</P></B> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>La Paz says:</=
P> <P>"As long ago as the 1920's Hermann Oberth in Germany clearly pointe=
d out the military potential of stations in space. Other nations have bee=
n thinking of occupying such states for 25 years."</P> <P>The United Stat=
es, he said, got Wernher von Braun, under whom the V-2 rocket was develop=
ed at the Nazis' Peenemunde center. But the Russians captured the great m=
ajority of the Peenemunde rocket experts and have long had control of the=
 German rocket bases along the Baltic.</P> <P>"We simply cannot safely di=
scount the progress that German rocket and space scientists may have made=
." says La Paz.</P> <P>"Also," he declares, "Russia study of meteoritics =
is much better systematized and far better finances than here.</P> <P></P=
><B> <P>Co Operation "Essential"</P></B> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>"The Meteorite =
Committee of the Academy of Sciences of the U.S.S.R. has the backing of t=
he Russian Goverment. The Russians, profiting from the greatest meteorite=
 fall in recent times - that of 1947, near Viadivostok - have been extrao=
rdinarily successful in getting wholehearted co-operation in its publicat=
ions.</P> <P>"Such co-operation is essential to the meteoriticist, for he=
 must find the meteorites he studies wherever they may happen to fall."</=
P> <P>At White Sands, which missile research makes the spot on earth clos=
est to space, the acknowledged rocket altitude record is only 250 miles. =
This was achieved by a two-stage rocket - a V-2 from which a smaller rock=
et was launched near the peak of the V-2's straight up flight.</P> <P>La =
Paz concedes there are many separate problems to solve before real space =
flight is possible.</P> <P>&nbsp;</P><B> <P>Cites Hazards</P></B> <P>&nbs=
p;</P> <P>Such hazards as space dust, meteorite impact, and cosmic ray bo=
mbardment must be overcome. These and the problems of mere existence in z=
ero gravity are not to taken lightly, he says.</P> <P>Fuels producing nec=
essary power and metals able to resist almost incredible temperatures muc=
h be produced.</P> <P>No one man or group of men should attempt to solve =
the many obstacles blocking the road to space. But La Paz contends that o=
rganzied direction, as in the Manhattan Project which produced the atom b=
omb, will achieve the step-by-step progress required.</P> <P>"We should b=
e working in the same carefully organized way to establish the first stat=
ion in space.</P> <P>"Such a station - providing us excelled observation =
and armed with atomic or hydrogen missiles - could be a modern sword of D=
amocles, forever threatening but forever insuring peace on earth." </P></=
FONT><BR><BR>Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line arch=
ive of meteor and meteorite articles.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0055_01C3A514.BDFD7820--