[meteorite-list] Story of a cold search Find!

From: Mikestockj_at_aol.com <Mikestockj_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:44 2004

-------------------------------1068051201

Hi Norm
Congratulations on your exciting find. Nothing quite like your first cold
find. It sure is one gorgeous stone. Thanks for sharing.
As coincidence would have it I was actually out in Nevada that same weekend
with my friend Kim Cathcart and found some meteorites myself. I was out on
Roach Dry Lake(RhDL) and I found two pieces of Primm (they fit together, 7.16 g &
8.15 g) on Oct. 24 the day before you found yours. The next day we hunted
Pahrump dry lake and didn't find anything. Pahrump is kind of cool as you drive
right past the word famous Chicken Ranch literally just before the road ends (No
we didn't stop).
The next day I then found a probable new one on RhDL (Oct. 26, 11.69 g) the
day after you found yours. I would guess that both of mine were found about the
same time of the day as you found yours. So if you want to find a meteorite
in Nevada just hunt around 11:30 am and you should find one.:)
I noticed you didn't mention the lake you found them on. If you are prepared
to reveal it what one was it? If not I understand as you might want to go back.
This is for anyone who has not found a meteorite. One of the best places to
find your own meteorite is definitely RhDL. It is only 20 minutes outside of
Las Vegas right off the interstate. I would guess that at least at least 10
possibly 11 different meteorites with several hundred fragments have been found
there. These include Primm, Beer Bottle Pass, Devil Peak, Roach, RhDL 006,
RhDL027, RhDL064, three in classification, plus possibly my new find, plus
others??? (See MB 88 for the new ones). Also if you go out to the lake you will notice
flags all over the lake with piles of rock around them. This is where my
friend has marked the location of all of the meteorites that have been found. In
fact my Primm finds were within 30 feet of where Rob Matson recently found a
piece.
Now I don't want to start a "gold rush" to RhDL. Keep in mind my friend who
has approximately 70 fragments from RhDL spent 20 hrs that weekend and didn't
find any. Our success rate between the two of us was 1 every 13.3 hrs or 0.675
g/hr! Our success rate for RhDL would be much better probably about half that
or 1 every 6.67 hrs or 1.35 g/hr.
If you do decide to hunt the RhDL please send any of the find details
including weights, GPS coordinates and meteorite name (if known) to Rob Matson or Bob
Varish.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting.
Mike

Mike Jensen
Bill Jensen
Jensen Meteorites
16730 E Ada PL
Aurora, CO 80017-3137
303-337-4361
Web Site: Jensen Meteorites

-------------------------------1068051201

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type charset=3DUTF-8 content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.100" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>Hi Norm</DIV>
<DIV>Congratulations on your exciting find. Nothing quite like your first co=
ld find. It sure is one gorgeous stone. Thanks for sharing.</DIV>
<DIV>As coincidence would have it I was actually out in Nevada that same wee=
kend with my friend Kim Cathcart and found some meteorites myself. I was out=
 on Roach Dry Lake(RhDL) and I found two pieces of Primm (they fit together,=
 7.16 g &amp; 8.15 g)&nbsp;on&nbsp;Oct. 24 the day before you found yours. T=
he next day we hunted Pahrump dry lake and didn't find anything. Pahrump is=20=
kind of cool as you drive right past the word famous Chicken Ranch literally=
 just before the road ends (No we didn't stop).&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The next day I then found a probable new one on RhDL (Oct. 26, 11.69 g)=
 the day after you found yours. I would guess that both of mine were found a=
bout the same time of the day&nbsp;as you found yours. So if you want to fin=
d a meteorite in Nevada just hunt around 11:30 am and you should find one.:)=
</DIV>
<DIV>I noticed you didn't mention the lake you found them on. If you are pre=
pared to reveal it what one was it? If not I understand as you might want to=
 go back.</DIV>
<DIV>This is for anyone who has not found a meteorite. One of the best place=
s to find your own meteorite is definitely RhDL. It is only 20 minutes outsi=
de of Las Vegas right off the interstate. I would guess that at least at lea=
st&nbsp;10 possibly&nbsp;11&nbsp;different meteorites with several hundred f=
ragments have been found there. These include Primm, Beer Bottle Pass, Devil=
 Peak, Roach, RhDL 006, RhDL027, RhDL064,&nbsp;three in classification, plus=
 possibly my new find, plus others??? (See MB 88 for the new ones). Also if=20=
you go out to the lake you will notice flags all over the lake with piles of=
 rock around them. This is where my friend has marked the location of all of=
 the meteorites that have been found. In fact my Primm finds were within 30=20=
feet of where Rob Matson recently found a piece.</DIV>
<DIV>Now I don't want to start a "gold rush" to RhDL. Keep in mind my friend=
 who has approximately 70 fragments from RhDL spent 20 hrs that weekend and=20=
didn't find any. Our success rate between the two of us was 1 every 13.3 hrs=
&nbsp;or 0.675 g/hr!&nbsp; Our success rate for RhDL would be much better pr=
obably about half that or 1 every 6.67 hrs or 1.35 g/hr.</DIV>
<DIV>If you do decide to hunt the RhDL please send any of the find details i=
ncluding weights, GPS coordinates and meteorite name (if known) to Rob Matso=
n or Bob Varish.</DIV>
<DIV>Good Luck and Happy Hunting.</DIV>
<DIV>Mike</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 PTSIZE=3D"10">Mike Jensen<BR>Bill Jensen<BR>Jensen Meteo=
rites<BR>16730 E Ada PL<BR>Aurora, CO 80017-3137<BR>303-337-4361<BR>Web Site=
: <A href=3D"http://jensenmeteorites.com/">Jensen Meteorites</A> </FONT></DI=