Fw: [meteorite-list] meteor velocity

From: GeoZay_at_aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:44 2004

-------------------------------1067994242

Hello Jose,
I=E2=80=99m not sure of the source...perhaps from IMO=E2=80=99s Meteor Obser=
ving Guidebook?=20
I don=E2=80=99t have a copy handy anymore, So I=E2=80=99m gonna try to wing=20=
it with the=20
interpretation that I got from it all.=20
Basically, meteoroids coming from parent objects in the asteroid belt, have=20=
a=20
relatively slow orbital speed when compared to particles that come from=20
in-coming comets that are in long range orbits around the sun. I believe thi=
s is=20
shown in one of Keplers Laws? Most of the asteroids in the asteroid belt and=
=20
near earth, orbit the sun in the same direction as the planets. For any of t=
hese=20
asteroidal objects to enter the earth=E2=80=99s orbit, they would have to pl=
ay =E2=80=9CCatch=20
up=E2=80=9D with the earth. Thus they would tend to enter the earths atmosph=
ere=20
during a period from afternoon to before midnight. Subtracting their orbita=
l=20
speed, which is in the vicinity of earths orbital speed, would mean they wou=
ld be=20
entering at velocities that would appear very slow. If they are entering=20
directly behind the earth, then the speed would be no faster than about 11 k=
m/s. The=20
exact velocities can vary a little since the exact entry angle from behind=20
could be a little off. For the most part, for an asteroidal meteoroid to=20
survive the rigors of passing thru our atmosphere, they should have velociti=
es less=20
than 29 km/s. Any faster they would have the tendency to burn up or explode.=
 A=20
meteoroid entering the earths atmosphere at velocities near 11 km/s would=20
appear to move quite slowly to the eye. Those that have entry velocities of=20
around 29 km/s would appear to be moving at best from medium slow to medium.=
  That=E2=80=99
s what you can expect from an asteroid that produces meteorites. To the best=
=20
of my knowledge, these are the only kind of meteorites, with a few exception=
s=20
such as those from the moon and mars. As for the meteors that come from=20
comets. The parent comets and their particles that are in the similar highly=
=20
elliptical orbits come from way out...most beyond Neptune with a few excepti=
ons. By=20
the time comets and their particles get in the vicinity of the earth, they h=
ave=20
a much higher velocity than an object with asteroidal origins. Again one of=20
the Kepler laws. Comet particles tend to meet up with the earth coming from=
=20
all directions....behind, straight on and obliquely. These different directi=
ons=20
basically dictate the entry velocites in the long run. They can enter from=20
behind and have the same velocity as an asteroidal object. They can enter fr=
om=20
the front with a velocity up to 72 km/s....way faster than what an asteroida=
l=20
object can. In order for an asteroidal object to have this kind of velocity=20=
from=20
behind, it would mean it is no longer in orbit around our sun. It=E2=80=99s=20=
basic=20
orbital velocity in the vicinity of earth and the asteroid belt is locked in=
 at a=20
slower velocity than something coming in from beyond Neptunes orbit. Now=20
with this all said, If Mike said he saw a meteor appear to be traveling Very=
=20
Fast....then its not likely to be of asteroidal origin, nor drop any meteori=
tes.=20
Most likely of cometary origin. It is possible to have a cometary particle=20
entering the earth with Slow to Very Fast Velocities, but highly unlikely fo=
r an=20
asteroidal particle to have anything other than Slow to maybe Slow to Medium=
=20
velocities. I don=E2=80=99t know how fast Mike=E2=80=99s fireball was travel=
ing, but do know if=20
one has seen a few meteor showers, you can quickly gain a =E2=80=9Csense=E2=
=80=9D of whether=20
it=E2=80=99s traveling Very Slow(typical meteorite dropping velocity) to one=
 that is=20
Very Fast(cometary velocity with no meteorite survival expected). I hope my=20
wording makes some sense?I don't have the math expertise, but I believe I=20
understand the concepts quite well? :o)
George Zay

-------------------------------1067994242

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1106" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Hello Jose,<BR>I=E2=80=99m not sure of the source...perhaps from IMO=
=E2=80=99s Meteor Observing Guidebook? I don=E2=80=99t have a copy handy any=
more, So I=E2=80=99m gonna try to wing it with the interpretation that I got=
 from it all. <BR>Basically, meteoroids coming from parent objects in the as=
teroid belt, have a relatively slow orbital speed when compared to particles=
 that come from in-coming comets that are in long range orbits around the su=
n. I believe this is shown in one of Keplers Laws? Most of the asteroids in=20=
the asteroid belt and near earth, orbit the sun in the same direction as the=
 planets. For any of these asteroidal objects to enter the earth=E2=80=99s o=
rbit, they would have to play =E2=80=9CCatch up=E2=80=9D with the earth. Thu=
s they would tend to enter the earths atmosphere during a period from aftern=
oon to&nbsp; before midnight. Subtracting their orbital speed, which is in t=
he vicinity of earths orbital speed, would mean they would be entering at ve=
locities that would appear very slow. If they are entering directly behind t=
he earth, then the speed would be no faster than about 11 km/s. The exact ve=
locities can vary a little since the exact entry angle from behind could be=20=
a little off.&nbsp; For the most part, for an asteroidal meteoroid to surviv=
e the rigors of passing thru our atmosphere, they should have velocities les=
s than 29 km/s. Any faster they would have the tendency to burn up or explod=
e. A meteoroid entering the earths atmosphere at velocities near 11 km/s wou=
ld appear to move quite slowly to the eye. Those that have entry velocities=20=
of around 29 km/s would appear to be moving at best from medium slow to medi=
um.&nbsp; That=E2=80=99s what you can expect from an asteroid that produces=20=
meteorites. To the best of my knowledge, these are the only kind of meteorit=
es, with a few exceptions such as those from the moon and mars.&nbsp; As for=
 the meteors that come from comets. The parent comets and their particles th=
at are in the similar highly elliptical orbits come from way out...most beyo=
nd Neptune with a few exceptions. By the time comets and their particles get=
 in the vicinity of the earth, they have a much higher velocity than an obje=
ct with asteroidal origins. Again one of the Kepler laws.&nbsp; Comet partic=
les tend to meet up with the earth coming from all directions....behind, str=
aight on and obliquely. These different directions basically dictate the ent=
ry velocites in the long run. They can enter from behind and have the same v=
elocity as an asteroidal object. They can enter from the front with a veloci=
ty up to 72 km/s....way faster than what an asteroidal object can. In order=20=
for an asteroidal object to have this kind of velocity from behind, it would=
 mean it is no longer in orbit around our sun. It=E2=80=99s basic orbital ve=
locity in the vicinity of earth and the asteroid belt is locked in at a slow=
er velocity than something coming in from beyond Neptunes orbit.&nbsp; Now w=
ith this all said, If Mike said he saw a meteor appear to be traveling Very=20=
Fast....then its not likely to be of asteroidal origin, nor drop any meteori=
tes. Most likely of cometary origin. It is possible to have a cometary parti=
cle entering the earth with Slow to Very Fast Velocities, but highly unlikel=
y for an asteroidal particle to have anything other than Slow to maybe Slow=20=
to Medium velocities. I don=E2=80=99t know how fast Mike=E2=80=99s fireball=20=
was traveling, but do know if one has seen a few meteor showers, you can qui=
ckly gain a =E2=80=9Csense=E2=80=9D of whether it=E2=80=99s traveling Very S=
low(typical meteorite dropping velocity) to one that is Very Fast(cometary v=
elocity with no meteorite survival expected). I hope my wording makes some s=
ense?I don't have the math expertise, but I believe I understand the concept=
s quite well? :o)</DIV>
<DIV>George Zay<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>