[meteorite-list] Re: Bencubbinite (and what it really is - Moho samples)

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:46 2004

Salam Mr. Yousef, Hello List,

Since you're directly linking to a site that I created on behalf
of Bruno and Carine (www.meteorite.fr), I feel urged to make a few
comments about your so-called bencubbinites, and about the proper
classification of your finds. For those list members who aren't
interested in terrestrial mineralogy, and in knowing what's up
with Mr. Yousef's rocks, just go ahead and hit the delete key.

First, let me say that I don't think that you're an imposter or
"fake" like many list members have suggested. Obviously, you're
an Omani, or you're living in Oman since your rocks are rather
typical for certain regions of your country.

Second, these rocks are no meteorites, sorry. However, they are
in fact somewhat rare, and extraordinary since they represent
samples of the so-called Moho, or Mohorovicic discontinuity. The
Moho is the boundary zone between the crust and the upper mantle
of the Earth, and it's usually deep within the Earth or can be
found at deep-sea levels. There are a few exceptions, however,
and the mountains of northern Oman are a rare example of a place
where the Moho surfaces, e.g. in the Jabal Nakhl, or in the Jabal
al Akhdar.

Many of these Moho stones also have been transported by erosion
into the wadis and desert areas of northern Oman, and they can
easily been mistaken for being meteorites since they are in
fact strongly attracted to a magnet. Being genuine samples of
the upper mantle, they contain much more iron, and magnetite
than other terrestrial rocks. Usually Moho stones are ophiolites,
dark mafic to ultra-mafic rocks that all show a certain stage
of serpentinization of the ultra-mafic compounds. Your samples
are actually nice (and somewhat rare) samples of the Moho
discontinuity, and the upper mantle of the Earth, but no
bencubbinites nor meteorites at all. If they would be
meteorites I could show you several places in your country
where you can pic up several tons of this stuff.

Why don't you head further down south into the deserts of your
country? There are much better places to look for meteorites,
down there near Haima, or in the Dhofar, and you won't be
misleaded by the Moho in these areas. Think about it.

Best of luck to you,
Norbert