[meteorite-list] Crow eaters

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:46 2004

--- Ryan Darby <rdarby_at_comlabs.com.au> wrote:
> Have we, as a community, made sufficient peace with
> the dealer, so that
> we don't end up after this with a dealer vs.
> collectors weariness? Maybe
> an email should go to him, explaining that it was
> all done for the good
> of collecting, and that no harm was meant, and that
> his future endeavors
> in meteorites are encouraged?

Yes, absolutely...

We have learned something here... Pictures are NOT
worth a thousand words. Even a well known meteorite
can look pretty strange over the internet.

But what progress from this incident may be, I think
that we are on the same page with regards to
certificates of authenticity.

We should use this case in setting guidlines as to how
our certs should and should not be used. And also the
format should be examined and a standard set.

I certainly wish Dan, "Lunar Ray" the best, and the
sale of his "iron meteorite shale" which it appears to
be, goes well. There might, however, be a test to
determine whether this sample is a silicate inclusion
like the Winona Meteorite. Out of this, that would be
a tremendous find.

Steve Schoner/AMS

BTW:

Crow doesn't taste so bad washed down with Canadian
whiskey.