[meteorite-list] NP Article, 10-1992 Peekskill Pre-Meteorite Reports

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:45 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C32483.C41B1210

Paper: The Chronicle-telegram =20
City: Elyria, Oh =20
Date: October 10, 1992
Page: 1
Spectacular meteor fall is visible in 9 states
By Linda Kramer
C-T Night Metro Editor
The homecoming king and queen at Midview High School got a spectacular se=
nd off Friday night - a fast-moving, brilliant light display, courtesy of=
 a bluish-green meteor shower high over the football stadium.
Chronicle-Telegram photographer Tom Dangerfield and many others at the ga=
me thought the sudden burst of light as the meteor entered the atmosphere=
 might have been an airplace crash.
So did thousands of other residents of northeast Ohio who flooded news ro=
oms and police stations throughtout the area with phone calls.
"There was an extremely long tail and we could see pieces falling off as =
it broke up," said Dangerfield. "you could see it burning, breaking apart=
. Then there was kind of a pop at the end when it blew up in a big ball o=
f flames."
The Lorain County Sheriff's office reported receiving 100-150 calls from =
residents claiming to have seen everything from "funny lights" to a "UFO =
in my backyard."
According to Robert Fischietto of the operations center at Cleveland Hopk=
ins Airport, the bright lights were a huger meteor moving from the south =
over the northeast United States. Fischietto said the shower was tracked =
by air traffic controllers and was probably highly visible because of the=
 clear skies Friday night.
Astronomers said the display was visible in nine states. Fischietto said =
the meteor burned up in Forth of July-like fashion in the upper atmospher=
e.
"It cooked for a good 15 seconds," said eye-witness Sgt. Christopher Sams=
, a Lorain County deputy sheriff. Sams said he was east of Oberlin at the=
 intersection of Butternut Ridge and Ridge Roads around 8 p.m. when he sp=
otted the exploding lights.
"It started off as blue and green and burst into a rainbow of colors as i=
t blew up. It's the largest meteor I've ever seen." he said. Sams, who ha=
s seen three other meteors, said that because of the high altitude he est=
imated the meteor flamed out somewhere over the Ohio-Pennsylvania border =
and was in no danger of harming earth-bound observers.
Dangerfield said the space traveler made its appearance just prior to kic=
k-off at the Midview-Sandusky football game.

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C32483.C41B1210

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><B><FONT size=3D=
2> <P>Paper:</FONT><FONT size=3D3> </FONT><FONT size=3D2>The Chronicle-te=
legram</FONT><FONT size=3D3> </FONT></P><FONT size=3D2> <P>City: Elyria, =
Oh </P> <P>Date: October 10, 1992</P> <P>Page: 1</P></B> <P>Spectacular m=
eteor fall is visible in 9 states</P> <P>By Linda Kramer</P> <P>C-T Night=
 Metro Editor</P> <P>The homecoming king and queen at Midview High School=
 got a spectacular send off Friday night - a fast-moving, brilliant light=
 display, courtesy of a bluish-green meteor shower high over the football=
 stadium.</P> <P>Chronicle-Telegram photographer Tom Dangerfield and many=
 others at the game thought the sudden burst of light as the meteor enter=
ed the atmosphere might have been an airplace crash.</P> <P>So did thousa=
nds of other residents of northeast Ohio who flooded news rooms and polic=
e stations throughtout the area with phone calls.</P> <P>"There was an ex=
tremely long tail and we could see pieces falling off as it broke up," sa=
id Dangerfield. "you could see it burning, breaking apart. Then there was=
 kind of a pop at the end when it blew up in a big ball of flames."</P> <=
P>The Lorain County Sheriff's office reported receiving 100-150 calls fro=
m residents claiming to have seen everything from "funny lights" to a "UF=
O in my backyard."</P> <P></P> <P>According to Robert Fischietto of the o=
perations center at Cleveland Hopkins Airport, the bright lights were a h=
uger meteor moving from the south over the northeast United States. Fisch=
ietto said the shower was tracked by air traffic controllers and was prob=
ably highly visible because of the clear skies Friday night.</P> <P>Astro=
nomers said the display was visible in nine states. Fischietto said the m=
eteor burned up in Forth of July-like fashion in the upper atmosphere.</P=
> <P>"It cooked for a good 15 seconds," said eye-witness Sgt. Christopher=
 Sams, a Lorain County deputy sheriff. Sams said he was east of Oberlin a=
t the intersection of Butternut Ridge and Ridge Roads around 8 p.m. when =
he spotted the exploding lights.</P> <P>"It started off as blue and green=
 and burst into a rainbow of colors as it blew up. It's the largest meteo=
r I've ever seen." he said. Sams, who has seen three other meteors, said =
that because of the high altitude he estimated the meteor flamed out some=
where over the Ohio-Pennsylvania border and was in no danger of harming e=
arth-bound observers.</P> <P>Dangerfield said the space traveler made its=
 appearance just prior to kick-off at the Midview-Sandusky football game.=
</P></FONT><BR><BR>Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-lin=
e archive of meteor and meteorite articles.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C32483.C41B1210--