[meteorite-list] Re: Barringer Meteor $$$$

From: Bob Martino <martino.6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:45 2004

Last time I visited the crater (back in October) I stopped for fuel at the
gas station right on the road to the crater. I *think* this gas station is
owned by Meteor Crater Enterprises.

I asked the lady behind the counter about the original American Meteorite
Museum. She pointed to its remains right outside the window (about 1/4 mile
away). Then she showed me the black & white photo of the building in its
heyday. This framed photo hangs on the wall right next to the door of the
gas station. I asked about old Route 66 and she pointed out its ruins as
well, running off to the east toward the ruins of the AMM. Finally, when I
asked her if it was OK for me to drive out and see the ruins, she said that
it wasn't allowed, but that she wouldn't try and stop me from doing it. So
now I have a nice, very substantial brick from the walls. :)

So my personal experience there has been different than Steve's, obviously.
Of course, I wasn't asking about hiking around with a metal detector!

Next time I'm in Flagstaff I'll stop in at the crater again (and gladly pay
my $15.00). While there, I plan to ask several staff members about Nininger.
It'll be interesting to gauge their reactions.

If they boot me out, then by God I'm coming back to do a little "Wabbit"
hunting! :)

-----
Bob Martino, Tucson, AZ

Can you really name a star? Read the Truth!
http://home.columbus.rr.com/starfaq/
.