[meteorite-list] Item #2175659927 - What IF it is Iron-shale?

From: FERNLEA4_at_aol.com <FERNLEA4_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:44 2004

--part1_1a8.1498bc71.2c00b674_boundary

jesserd44_at_earthlink.net writes:

> What about Hoba then ? I see Hoba Shale offered
> as meteorites from some very well known dealers that call their pieces
> "meteoric iron shale".

Steven and all,
I think you're probably referring to my Hoba descriptions and listing here.
The description on the old 1929 British Museum label calls the collected
Hoba......METEORIC "IRON SHALE". I'm not sure why the quotation marks are used in
this way, but if they're to be used at all, maybe it would have been better to
say......METEORIC IRON "SHALE".
Of course, this museum label was originally written 74 years ago purely for
curation purposes, so our current wordplay way of thinking wouldn't have been
taken into account back then.
These Hoba shale pieces are suprisingly big, showing just how deep the thick
layer of oxide surrounding the Hoba mass must have been when it was
discovered......very much like the 6 inch layer of oxide surrounding the Lake Murray
mass. It's lucky for us though, because without that thick oxide layer serving as
a protective barrier against moisture and oxygen ingress, there probably
wouldn't be any metallic Lake Murray remaining after it's 100+ million years time
on Earth.
The Hoba shale is completely terrestrialised and very different from it's
metallic counterpart, so I don't think it can or should be described as just
"meteorite", although "meteoric" (or maybe "once meteoric"?) might work, so long
as "shale" or "oxide" are also mentioned in there somewhere.
I'm quite happy to fine-tune my Hoba website listing though, so let me know
anyone's ideas of improvements for accuracy.

The label is pictured here http://fernlea.tripod.com/ebayhobalabel.jpg

Cheers,
Rob Elliott
www.meteorites.uk.com
Fernlea Meteorites,
The Wynd,
Off Dickson Lane,
Milton of Balgonie,
Fife. KY7 6PY
United Kingdom
Tel: +44-(0)1592-751563
Fax: +44-(0)1592-751991
Mobile: 07909-773929
Email: fernlea4_at_aol.com

--part1_1a8.1498bc71.2c00b674_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 24/05/03 01:06:12 GMT Daylight Time=
, jesserd44_at_earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">What about Hoba then ?&nbsp;&nb=
sp; I see Hoba Shale offered<BR>
as meteorites from some very well known dealers that call their pieces<BR>
"meteoric iron shale".</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Steven and all,<BR>
I think you're probably referring to my Hoba descriptions and listing here.<=

The description on the old 1929 British Museum label calls the collected Hob=
a......METEORIC "IRON SHALE". I'm not sure why the quotation marks are used=20=
in this way, but if they're to be used at all, maybe it would have been bett=
er to say......METEORIC IRON "SHALE".<BR>
Of course, this museum label was originally written 74 years ago purely for=20=
curation purposes, so our current wordplay way of thinking wouldn't have bee=
n taken into account back then.<BR>
These Hoba shale pieces are suprisingly big, showing just how deep the thick=
 layer of oxide surrounding the Hoba mass must have been when it was discove=
red......very much like the 6 inch layer of oxide surrounding the Lake Murra=
y mass. It's lucky for us though, because without that thick oxide layer ser=
ving as a protective barrier against moisture and oxygen ingress, there prob=
ably wouldn't be any metallic Lake Murray remaining after it's 100+ million=20=
years time on Earth.<BR>
The Hoba shale is completely terrestrialised and very different from it's me=
tallic counterpart, so I don't think it can or should be described as just "=
meteorite", although "meteoric" (or maybe "once meteoric"?) might work, so l=
ong as "shale" or "oxide" are also mentioned in there somewhere.<BR>
I'm quite happy to fine-tune my Hoba website listing though, so let me know=20=
anyone's ideas of improvements for accuracy.<BR>
<BR>
The label is pictured here http://fernlea.tripod.com/ebayhobalabel.jpg<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
Rob Elliott<BR>
www.meteorites.uk.com<BR>
Fernlea Meteorites,<BR>
The Wynd,<BR>
Off Dickson Lane,<BR>
Milton of Balgonie,<BR>
Fife. KY7 6PY<BR>
United Kingdom<BR>
Tel: +44-(0)1592-751563<BR>
Fax: +44-(0)1592-751991<BR>
Mobile: 07909-773929<BR>
Email: fernlea4_at_aol.com</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1a8.1498bc71.2c00b674_boundary--