[meteorite-list] Item #2175659927

From: Ron Hartman <RNHARTMA_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:43 2004

COPY FOR THE LIST'S AMUSEMENT!
Question to seller regarding eBay Item # 2175659927

Hello Lunarray,

Just stumbled onto your auction and am glad to read that you are
re-evaluating your item. The pictures appear to be some sort of volcanic
material. There is a great deal of that scattered in the crater region from
the San Francisco Peaks volcanic area near Flagstaff. The road leading to
the crater museum uses a lot of volcanic fill and that is a possible source.
Much of it was scattered on the nearby plains. Your pictures do not show
the bright nickel-iron of a CD or even the black oxidized material commonly
called oxidite which is a compact disintegration product of a fully
terrestrialized CD meteorite.

I know the crater area well and spent many years studying the different
forms of CD meteorites, some under the formal direction of F. C. Leonard
(who was Chairman of the U.C.L.A. Dept. of Astronomy and one of the founders
of the Meteoritical Society) (I hold a related degree in Astronomy.)

I can assure you that the pictures I see here are not any kind of
meteorite.

Best Wishes,
R. N. Hartman
Professor of Astronomy