[meteorite-list] Ghubara question

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:42 2004

------=_NextPart_001_000F_01C31FFB.ABDFF760

Mark wrote:

"I ran into a interesting thing while slicing a Ghubara I had. It has, on=
 its
margin, a metal flake that is 9mm x 4mm (measured at most extent points)
and is just so out of place for the rest of the metal flakes seen in this
meteorite (of the pieces I have anyway) and was wondering if this is a
common occurance or could it be from an impact?"

Hello Mark and list,

I purchased a polished Ghubara slice I think from Al Mitterling about two=
 years ago that has a metal "flake" that is even bigger then the one you =
described. About 12mm x 7mm. I've thought about trying to etch it in ho=
pes that there might be a something to see (rather then it just being one=
 large crystal) but have never gotten around to it. I have also seen thi=
s on many other meteorites. I noticed the Hupes sent an e-mail to the li=
st about several slice they have put on eBay with large metal veins and t=
he like. The origin of these metal veins and our metal flakes are likely=
 the same, as you suggest from an impact (in space). The fact that metal=
 gets moved around inside a chondrite is more visible in a chondrite slic=
e with an armored chondrules. =20

Some Ghubara pieces have clasps of a lighter colored matrix meteorite in =
it, a reference to the violent history this meteorite has seen, so our me=
tal spots are likely not that uncommon.

Mark Bostick
www.MeteoriteArticles.com

------=_NextPart_001_000F_01C31FFB.ABDFF760

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <=
DIV>Mark wrote:</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>"I ran into a interesting th=
ing while slicing a Ghubara I had. It has, on its<BR>margin,&nbsp; a meta=
l flake that is 9mm x 4mm (measured at most extent points)<BR>and is just=
 so out of place for the rest of the metal flakes seen in this<BR>meteori=
te (of the pieces I have anyway) and was wondering if this is a<BR>common=
 occurance or could it be from an impact?"</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>H=
ello Mark and list,</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I purchased a polished G=
hubara slice I think from Al Mitterling about two years ago that has a me=
tal "flake" that is even bigger then the one you described.&nbsp; About 1=
2mm x 7mm.&nbsp; I've thought about trying to etch it in hopes that there=
 might be a something to see (rather then it just being one large crystal=
) but have never gotten around to it.&nbsp; I have also seen this on many=
 other meteorites.&nbsp; I noticed the Hupes sent an e-mail to the list a=
bout several slice they have put on eBay with large metal veins and the l=
ike.&nbsp; The origin of these metal veins and our metal flakes are likel=
y the same, as you suggest from an impact (in space).&nbsp; The fact that=
 metal gets moved around inside a chondrite is more visible in a chondrit=
e slice with an armored chondrules.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>S=
ome Ghubara pieces have clasps of a lighter colored matrix meteorite in i=
t, a reference to the violent history this meteorite has seen, so our met=
al spots are likely not that uncommon.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Mark =
Bostick</DIV> <DIV><A href=3D"http://www.MeteoriteArticles.com">www.Meteo=
riteArticles.com</A></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_000F_01C31FFB.ABDFF760--