[meteorite-list] NP Article, 04-1970 Nininger, Meteorite Damaged Apollo 13

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:40 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0003_01C31B0B.A03F2970

Title: Manitowoc Herald Times =20
City: Manitowoc, Wisconsin =20
Date: Tuesday, April 14, 1970
Page: 10-M

Meteorite Could Cause Power Failure

SEDONA, Ariz. (AP) - The power failure on Apollo 13 probably was caused b=
y a very small meteorite, Dr. Harvey Nininger said today.
Nininger, regarded as an expert on the subject, said he had given this "v=
ery positive opinion" to the National Aeronautics and Space Administratio=
n after being consulted by it monday night.
He said he didn't see why some technologists think the mishap may have be=
en caused by a connection going wrong on the spacecraft since there have =
been so many successful lauches and returns.
"We've known all along of the hazard of meteorites in space," he said, "b=
ut we've said very little about it because the flights have been so succe=
ssful.
"I feel that while we probably have had an encounter with a meteorite, it=
 could have been very disastrous if it had been larger or had punctured t=
he part where the men are living."

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_0003_01C31B0B.A03F2970

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><B><FONT size=3D=
2> <P>Title:</B> Manitowoc Herald Times </P><B> <P>City:</B> Manitowoc, W=
isconsin </P><B> <P>Date:</B> Tuesday, April 14, 1970</P> <P>Page: 10-M</=
P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Meteorite Could Cause Power Failure</P> <P>&nbsp;</P>=
 <P>SEDONA, Ariz. (AP) - The power failure on Apollo 13 probably was caus=
ed by a very small meteorite, Dr. Harvey Nininger said today.</P> <P>Nini=
nger, regarded as an expert on the subject, said he had given this "very =
positive opinion" to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration af=
ter being consulted by it monday night.</P> <P>He said he didn't see why =
some technologists think the mishap may have been caused by a connection =
going wrong on the spacecraft since there have been so many successful la=
uches and returns.</P> <P>"We've known all along of the hazard of meteori=
tes in space," he said, "but we've said very little about it because the =
flights have been so successful.</P> <P>"I feel that while we probably ha=
ve had an encounter with a meteorite, it could have been very disastrous =
if it had been larger or had punctured the part where the men are living.=
"</P></FONT><BR><BR>Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-li=
ne archive of meteor and meteorite articles.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0003_01C31B0B.A03F2970--