[meteorite-list] Hunters?

From: Michel <Michel_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:40 2004

Hi Robert, Hi list

I agree with your position, Robert.

In my opinion the real hunt is when you are the first human to grab from the
ground a new meteorite. ( a meteorite never identified by any human before
as a cosmic gift)

    - You can either track a ( new of course ) fall on clues given by
watchers. I recovered the Oued al Hadjar 1986 fall in 1998.

    - You can either prospect a favourablea area. Gold Basin , Dar Al Gani,
HaH , others . In these you may find meteorite that are paired with already
known ( and published ) meteorites. But you can also find new ones. I found
the first CM2 and the first CR2 of DaG, among others.

For me the noblest hunt is the fall hunting. I only found one of that kind.
Please note that in the Oued El hadjar case, I was guided on the landing
field by autochtones but I was the one we found the first fragment and
showed it to the people around. After that in a couple of hours we recovered
1200 g of it.

I think that people going on already known strewn fields are also hunters.
It 's easier, you can buy from a reknown dealer a specimen to adapt your eye
to what you will hunt, which is not at all the case for new meteorites YOU
discover.

Last point: I also think that the most difficult thing to do is to find a
( new of course ) favourable strewn field. In the last years I can list:
Acfer,and some other algerian related fields, (far from the "famous" border
with Morocco where few really know what is going on,), Gold Basin, DaG HaH,
Oman. Do I miss major ones ( except Antarctica ) . The community should
reward this ( these ?) anonymous finder who disclosed these fields. ;-).

Are there more fields like that ?

Best regards.

Michel FRANCO
Caillou Noir