[meteorite-list] Object That Hit North Carolina Home Not A Meteorite

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:39 2004

--------------020002000401090903040900

Hello, Al, Bjorn and the list,

usually the bases give some information when there is some bigger coming
down,
but couldn´t find anything from Vandenberg (US), from ESA (Europe) or from
Baikonur (Russia), but if it´s a case of some smaller debris, it may
take time, when
it apperas to the lists, if ever.

Italian / Dutch BebboSax destroyed on April the 30:th, and some 600 kg;s
came down,
but if I remember, this case happened earlier. Some kind of stuff comes
down daily, and in
this case, if the debris was made of aluminium and reached the ground, I
suppose, the journey
of the piece in the atmosphere has been quite short. Anyway, accoding
the pics it´s from a
satelite, not from an aeroplane, if it´s from the sky.
This kind of debris comes down some 200 meters / sec, so enough to
break something.

I´m a bit skeptic in these cases, if there are no eye-witnesses, when
the debris lands. I have checked
several items people have been sure, are space-origin, but usually we
have found a more terrastial
explanation, detonations nearby, debris from the diffenet kind of
machinery, items hurled from the
trucks or truck-wheels and so on...

Anyway, the material should be able to examine in a lab and so to find
out the exact composition of
the aluminium, and is there this kind material in use in satelites.
Usually the debris from the higher
altitudes is some stronger material, but who knows...

Anyway, it´s sure there´s not a question about Columbia debris.

take care,

pekka

--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND
+ 358 400 818 912
Group Home Page: http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eurocoin
Group Email Address: eurocoin_at_smartgroups.com
--------------020002000401090903040900
<head>
</head>
Hello, Al, Bjorn and the list,<br>
usually the bases give some information when there is some bigger coming
down,<br>
but couldn&acute;t find anything from Vandenberg (US), from ESA (Europe) or from
Baikonur (Russia), but if it&acute;s a case of some smaller debris, it may take
time, when <br>
it apperas to the lists, if ever.<br>
Italian / Dutch BebboSax destroyed on April the 30:th, and some 600 kg;s
came down,<br>
but if I remember, this case happened earlier. Some kind of stuff comes down
daily, and in <br>
this case, if the debris was made of aluminium and reached the ground, I
suppose, the journey<br>
of the piece in the atmosphere has been quite short. Anyway, accoding the
pics it&acute;s from a <br>
satelite, not from an aeroplane, if it&acute;s from the sky.<br>
This &nbsp;kind of debris comes down some 200 meters / sec, so enough to break
something.<br>
I&acute;m a bit skeptic in these cases, if there are no eye-witnesses, when the
debris lands. I have checked<br>
several items people have been sure, are space-origin, but usually we have
found a more terrastial<br>
explanation, detonations nearby, debris from the diffenet kind of machinery,
items hurled from the<br>
trucks or truck-wheels and so on...<br>
Anyway, the material should be able to examine in a lab and so to find out
the exact composition of<br>
the aluminium, and is there this kind material in use in satelites. Usually
the debris from the higher<br>
altitudes is some stronger material,&nbsp; but who knows...<br>
Anyway, it&acute;s sure there&acute;s not a question about Columbia debris.<br>
take care,<br>
pekka<br>
Bj&oslash;rn S&oslash;rheim wrote:<br>
      <pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND