[meteorite-list] Object That Hit North Carolina Home Not AMeteorite

From: (wrong string) ørn Sørheim <bsoerhei_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:39 2004

Hello Al,
It has been proven that a piece left Columbia on the 17th of January.
It came down just 2 days later in the South Pacific Ocean. Probably such small
pieces have much higher tendency, than the orbiter, to be caught by the
extremely
thin atmosphere at the height of the orbit. Then it seems quite unlikely
another
piece should have lingered up there so much longer.

If you are talking about material breaking off when Columbia was on its way
down through the atmosphere, such a piece would certainly have come down with
the rest of the pieces.

Concerning flight path - of the two weeks Columbia was in space, might not one
or more orbits have taken it over North Carolina??
And did this really happen at the end of April, I seem to remeber it
was March or February?
But I certainly do not believe it came from Columbia, of course.

Regards,
Bjørn Sørheim