[meteorite-list] Barringer Meteor $$$$

From: MeteorHntr_at_aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:37 2004

--part1_111.235d5e50.2bec2fa2_boundary

Hello List,

I was just informed privately, that my post about the Barringer Corporation
making donation, really sounded like I was saying that the Meteoritical
Society was doing something wrong and was "accepted bribes." That was not my
intent.

Now if some of you read my comments as saying that the Barringer Corporation,
who seems to be so "anti-science" is making relatively small donations to the
most official mouth piece of our scientific field (the Meteoritical Society)
then that is the spirit I meant to say it in.

In no way would I ever fault the Meteoritical Society for accepting ANY gift.

Now if there might be a significant number of members of the Society that
might tend to agree that the crater should be a National Park but would never
publicly say so because the tiny gifts the Barringer corporation makes each
year are significant to the Society, if that were the case, and I have no
idea if it is, then it would be a different story.

I understand how many large and massively profitable corporations work. They
support people, in government and elsewhere, that support them. And more
times than not, that support is given to protect their corporate interests.
(In fact most all of us vote for and support people who will support our
positions too.)

I know if I owned the crater, I would consider a few thousand dollars a year
to the most significant mouth piece in our science to be a good financial
investment.

I also wanted to add that if anyone would want to garner the support of the
Meteoritical Society to help turn the Crater Business into a National Park,
that it might not be too easy. It does seem that the Barringer Corporation
has historically been a little nicer to the Society than to the collector
field, even though their actions, as Schoner pointed out, seem to be quite
anti-science.

Steve Arnold

--part1_111.235d5e50.2bec2fa2_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Hello List,<BR>
<BR>
I was just informed privately, that my post about the Barringer Corporation=20=
making donation, really sounded like I was saying that the Meteoritical Soci=
ety was doing something wrong and was "accepted bribes."&nbsp; That was not=20=
my intent.<BR>
<BR>
Now if some of you read my comments as saying that the Barringer Corporation=
, who seems to be so "anti-science" is making relatively small donations to=20=
the most official mouth piece of our scientific field (the Meteoritical Soci=
ety) then that is the spirit I meant to say it in.<BR>
<BR>
In no way would I ever fault the Meteoritical Society for accepting ANY gift=
. <BR>
<BR>
Now if there might be a significant number of members of the Society that mi=
ght tend to agree that the crater should be a National Park but would never=20=
publicly say so because the tiny gifts the Barringer corporation makes each=20=
year are significant to the Society, if that were the case, and I have no id=
ea if it is, then it would be a different story.<BR>
<BR>
I understand how many large and massively profitable corporations work.&nbsp=
; They support people, in government and elsewhere, that support them.&nbsp;=
 And more times than not, that support is given to protect their corporate i=
nterests.&nbsp; (In fact most all of us vote for and support people who will=
 support our positions too.)<BR>
<BR>
I know if I owned the crater, I would consider a few thousand dollars a year=
 to the most significant mouth piece in our science to be a good financial i=
nvestment.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
I also wanted to add that if anyone would want to garner the support of the=20=
Meteoritical Society to help turn the Crater Business into a National Park,=20=
that it might not be too easy.&nbsp; It does seem that the Barringer Corpora=
tion has historically been a little nicer to the Society than to the collect=
or field, even though their actions, as Schoner pointed out, seem to be quit=
e anti-science.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Steve Arnold<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_111.235d5e50.2bec2fa2_boundary--