[meteorite-list] Barringer Meteor $$$$

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:36 2004

Hi Steve & all,
        Not to dispute ANY of this, but I have heard TONS AND TONS of
meteorites were, in fact, taken from the area and transported via
the rail roads to smelters at some incredibly low price - something
like 9 cents per TON! While it never came close to the "production"
hoped for, tons upon tons of Canyon Diablos were smelted down.
        Anyone else heard this?
        Michael

on 5/7/03 5:26 PM, Steve Schoner at steve_schoner_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> --- StarHarvest_at_aol.com wrote:
>> I found Mark's information about the location and
>> exploitation of the. Barringer Meteor in Arizona
>> interesting yet perplexing.
>>
>> My question is this: If a mining operation ensues
>> based on the task of breaking up and refining ore
>> from the HUGE Barringer meteor, What will this do to
>> the world worth of meteorites in general? I mean,
>> think of it! One could actually end up driving a
>> car made of ore derived from exospace!.
>> Extraterestrial material could become common stuff!
>> Why, we might even end up using paper-clips from
>> meteoritic ore! OH NO!
>>
>> Remember, the reason why diamonds are so priceless,
>> is because the DeBoer (spelling?) family has
>> controlled the flow of diamomds into the market.
>> Diamonds happen to be NOT as rare as one may suppose
>> but their availability has been controlled. What
>> will happen to the monetary value of meteorites if
>> one of the world's largest sources of nickel,
>> iron...and possibly diamonds, is from a meteor?
>> Rand Kluge
>>

> Rand,
>
> The impactor that made Meteor Crater was vaporized on
> impact as Dr. Moulton had predicted in 1929. Dr.
> Barringer's original idea was that it was intact
> underneath the south rim.
>
> The late '40's proof of Dr. Moulton's prediction came
> with Dr. Nininger's discovery of the vapor products
> scattered in the soil around Meteor Crater. Then,
> later, Dr. Shoemaker proved that all explosive
> cratering events vaporize the impactor as well.
>
> So, the above notion that mining meteorite craters for
> a bonanza of meteorites is without merit.
>
> Steve Schoner
>
> http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identificaton

"We have them surrounded in their tanks"
...Bagdad Bob
--
Worth Seeing:
-  Earth at night from satellite: