[meteorite-list] Stolen Meteorite: 6,000 kg Campo Del Cielo

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Z.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:36 2004

Hello Ron and list,

Regarding Santiago del Estero, its weight and the tkw of Campos, here is a
copy of a mail I received by mid-March from Oscar A. Turone, after inquiring
about the total and main masses of Campos. It corroborates the info received
form the officials in Argentina but also throws some more light about the
other individuals. It also appears that "Santiago" is only the third mass.

Hope this helps

Best,

Zelimir
--------

Hello Zelimir,
According to my data by now the TKW of Campo del Cielo is more than 130
tons. These are the largest masses found:

1) Chaco - 37.2 t
2) Mes=F3n de Fierro - 20.0 t (estimated)
3) Santiago del Estero - 10.0 t (estimated)
4) Las V=EDboras - 5.0 t
5) El Toba - 4.2 t
6) El Taco - 3.1 t
7) La Perdida - 1.5 t
8) Private coll. of Marvin Killgore - 1.9 t
9) Otumpa - 0.8 t (original weight, now 634 kg)
10) El Tonocot=E9 - 0.8 t
11) Escuela Las V=EDboras - 0.8 t (stole in 1985)
12) El Mocov=ED - 0.7 t

SubTotal...................86.0 t
Small pieces (estimated)...50.0 t

Total KW(estimated).........136.0 t

Best regards.

Oscar
--=20
Sociedad Meteor=EDtica Argentina
Pizarro 5674 - (1440) Buenos Aires - Argentina
Telefax: 4642 3799
E-mail: oaturone_at_sinectis.com.ar oaturone@terra.com.ar
http://webs.sinectis.com.ar/oaturone
-----------
At 14:02 07/05/03 -0700, you wrote:
>>=20
>> I took a look at the article and it looks to me as this thing only weighs
6 kilos.=20
>>=20
>> 6,000 kilos times 2.2 pounds equal 13,200 pounds or over 6.5 tons. They
wouldn't just
>> walk off this piece and heavy equipment would have to have been used. I
am just a bit
>> skeptical. All my best!
>>=20
>
>I've sent some followup inquires, and it looks like this meteorite is in=20
>the neighborhood of several tons. I've received the following information
below.

>Ron Baalke
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-

>The weight of the meteorite was estimated, it never was moved from de=20
>discover in 1996. It has 1.84 cm in length (more than 5,5 feets). The=20
>estimated weigh is 6 to 8 tons, and some people said, according with the=20
>size, it could reach the 10 tons. Was called "Ta=F1igo II" or "Santiago del=
=20
>Estero". Is the second mass in Campo del Cielo after de "Chaco" meteorite=
=20
>(37.200 kg).
Prof. Zelimir Gabelica
Groupe S=E9curit=E9 et Ecologie Chimiques (GSEC) - ENSCMu
3, rue A. Werner
F-68093 MULHOUSE Cedex, FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0)3 89 33 68 94
FAX: +33 (0)3 89 33 68 15