[meteorite-list] OT: Spotting Mercury transit today

From: STUARTATK_at_aol.com <STUARTATK_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:36 2004

--part1_19a.148b26c5.2bea5a84_boundary

Hi Bjorn,

Happy to report that the Mercury Transit was observed from here in the north
of England too :-) Myself and half a dozen other members of my astro society
gathered with our telescopes on a big park field down by the river. Didn't
look too promising as we were setting-up at 5.30am, and by 6.11, the time the
transit started, the whole of the eastern sky was an unbroken slab of grey
cloud. Deep sighs all round. But after another hour the cloud started to
break, and by 7.45 the Sun finally clawed its way up from behind the wall of
grey and we all rushed to our scopes - and yep, exactly as predicted, there
was Mercury! Bigger than many of us had expected, and strikingly dark against
the solar disc too, a deep, shark-eye black which made it looik like an ink
spot against the Sun.

We had 4 scopes there, ranging in size from my simple 3" no-drive and
altazimuth-mount-only Tasco reflector to "Wow!" 8" Celestrons and Vixens,
computer guided and sporting shiny silver solar filters over their ends. The
Vixen was connected to a modified webcam, which was in turn connected to a
laptop, allowing us to enjoy real-time video of the transit while we sipped
our coffee and crunched our ginger cookies. Great fun!

Over the course of the next 4 hours we were visited by over 30 people... kids
on their way to school pensioners out for a stroll, dog-walkers, even a
couple of evidently-suspicious police officers... and had a really fun time
just showing people Mercury drifting lazily across the Sun's face. We didn't
really do any "science", it was more of an Outreach event - like most of ours
are - but it was as enjoyable as ever showing people an amazing sight they
would have missed otherwise.

At just after 11.32 local time we all went back to our scopes to watch
Mercury cross the final few hairs-widths of solar disc, kiss the limb, then
edge over it, further and further ... ... ... until finally it was gone.
Quite a sad moment - but not as sad as it would have been if that cloud
hadn't lifted!

Hope others out there had as good a view as we did here in the Lakes.

Best wishes,

Stu

--part1_19a.148b26c5.2bea5a84_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi Bjorn,
<BR>
<BR>Happy to report that the Mercury Transit was observed from here in the n=
orth of England too :-) Myself and half a dozen other members of my astro so=
ciety gathered with our telescopes on a big park field down by the river. Di=
dn't look too promising as we were setting-up at 5.30am, and by 6.11, the ti=
me the transit started, the whole of the eastern sky was an unbroken slab of=
 grey cloud. Deep sighs all round. But after another hour the cloud started=20=
to break, and by 7.45 the Sun finally clawed its way up from behind the wall=
 of grey and we all rushed to our scopes - and yep, exactly as predicted, th=
ere was Mercury! Bigger than many of us had expected, and strikingly dark ag=
ainst the solar disc too, a deep, shark-eye black which made it looik like a=
n ink spot against the Sun.=20
<BR>
<BR>We had 4 scopes there, ranging in size from my simple 3" no-drive and al=
tazimuth-mount-only Tasco reflector to "Wow!" 8" Celestrons and Vixens, comp=
uter guided and sporting shiny silver solar filters over their ends. The Vix=
en was connected to a modified webcam, which was in turn connected to a lapt=
op, allowing us to enjoy real-time video of the transit while we sipped our=20=
coffee and crunched our ginger cookies. Great fun!
<BR>
<BR>Over the course of the next 4 hours we were visited by over 30 people...=
 kids on their way to school pensioners out for a stroll, dog-walkers, even=20=
a couple of evidently-suspicious police officers... and had a really fun tim=
e just showing people Mercury drifting lazily across the Sun's face. We didn=
't really do any "science", it was more of an Outreach event - like most of=20=
ours are - but it was as enjoyable as ever showing people an amazing sight t=
hey would have missed otherwise.
<BR>
<BR>At just after 11.32 local time we all went back to our scopes to watch M=
ercury cross the final few hairs-widths of solar disc, kiss the limb, then e=
dge over it, further and further ... ... ... until finally it was gone. Quit=
e a sad moment - but not as sad as it would have been if that cloud hadn't l=
ifted!
<BR>
<BR>Hope others out there had as good a view as we did here in the Lakes.
<BR>
<BR>Best wishes,
<BR>
<BR>Stu</FONT></HTML>

--part1_19a.148b26c5.2bea5a84_boundary--