[meteorite-list] Southwest Impact Study photos

From: SSachs9056_at_aol.com <SSachs9056_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:35 2004

Mark,

Rob Wesel wrote:

Boggy Creek, Frass, Yousef, Finkle.....Jackson
Blind faith a meteorite does not make. Goes for impact craters too.
I will be very happy if your work turns out correct, but standing off in
absence of proof shows your bias. A true scientist must enter with every
measure of caution.
"I think, therefore I am" is not to say "I think it is, so it is"........

Mark----I was a bit taken aback on your particular statement:

"LOL . . . that's what I'm doing. Seeking expert opinion. I didn't realize
this was a non-expert list. Sheesh"

This list is chock full of "Experts", and the "Experts" have spent vast
amounts of time with individuals (Boggy Creek, Frass, Yousef, Finkle) listed
in Rob's post above. I would suggest you might want to go back to the list
archives--and look how members of this list bent over backwards to give
expert opinion---only to have the advise / information essentially thrown
back into their faces. And this is with pictures of obvious meteorwrongs.
Because you're not claiming these specimens to be meteorites---the slope
becomes a tad more slippery. That's why it was suggested you take the
specimens to someone, or an institution, that can give them a proper ID.

Again...look in the meteorite-list archives with the names mentioned by Rob,
and you may come away with a bit more understanding as to why no one on this
list can give you a 100% accurate ID or a final opinion.

Just my opinion...

Steven L. Sachs / IMCA # 9210