[meteorite-list] bulk storage

From: mafer <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:35 2004

Hi folks
I found an interesting little kitchen aid which I believe is going to work
quite good for smaller amounts of bulk lots of meteorites.
Its the nicely sized (and varied sized) vacuum containers which come with a
little hand pump to evacuate it with. After you clean with a anhydrous
alcohol and bake/dry your meteorites, one only needs to put them in a
plastic bag (like a zip lock freezer bag ), to keep from scratching up the
container, put the lid in place and evacuate it. So far, I haven't noticed
any moisture condensing on the inside and it looks like its a great way to
store the extras that aren't in a display. Actually, these containers are
clear enough that they can be used for a display container for those hard to
preserve specimens. Size is a limiting factor though, so those really big
specimens will have to survive with older forms of protection
Let me know what you think of this idea as these things are readily
available in grocery stores and on ebay.
Mark