[meteorite-list] Odessa Crater Article

From: Alexander Seidel <ase_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:35 2004

Nice and interesting article about the Odessa crater and its new
visitor centre, Dirk, thank you. In fact, the "upcoming issue", as you
say, of the METEORITE magazine from NZ has now already arrived in my
(snail) mail box, but I am still missing any new issues of MAPS later
than the December issue of last year. I read about a change of
editorship and already heard of complaints from other members of the
Meteoritical Society, but such a big delay in delivering a
professional magazine seems a bit strange to me. Anyone has any more
detail on this - may be you Jeff (Grossman)?

Thanks also to Paul and Jim for the new online issue of
MeteoriteTimes. I just read Mike Bostick´s article about "A visit to
Meteor Crater". Interesting to note that the folks there at the crater
now seem to offer guided tours of the crater rim, though they have
their own special "information policy" about it. I hiked the crater
all around its rim alone way back in 1992 (may be illegally even then,
but not warned effectively enough :-)), but when I returned in 1996 it
was absolutely impossible to walk beyond the no trespassing signs in
the vicinity of the visitor´s center. They seem to be very, very tough
there with that private enterprise. I still remember the words some of
you US guys wrote me after I talked to him about my last visit: "if
you are trying to pick up some stones there at the crater, they´ll
shoot you!" :-).

Anyway, that is for sure: Nininger would deserve something better than
what it said about him by the Meteor crater enterprise people these
days.

Best from sunny Berlin, Germany
Alex