[meteorite-list] Main Mass Status - EXAMPLE

From: Jeff Kuyken <jeff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:34 2004

I remember that I had this issue came up in an email with Alex Bevan late
last year. Basically, just because a specimen is the "Largest Piece" does
not automatically make it the "Main Mass". Take Veevers for example. The
"Largest Piece" is around 37g. Calling this the "Main Mass' of the Veevers
meteorite is just plain ridiculous. Remember the huge hole in Australia! ;-)

The definition that Jeff Grossman came up with is probably a much more
reasonable view of the term "Main Mass". But I guess only time will tell
with how this one pans out.

Cheers,

Jeff Kuyken
I.M.C.A. #3085