[meteorite-list] Main Mass Status

From: Dave Schultz <indy1996_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:34 2004

  Greetings. After reading all of these posts from
people that have way more knowledge about meteorites
than I do, but; it seems to me that the real main mass
would be the original mass of the meteor before it
entered the atmosphere and all of the remaining masses
that are recovered are really just fragments of the
original main mass. So looking at it from this
perspective, there are no true main masses here on
Earth. So, as a few people have stated, the largest
mass that is left over would actually be the largest
mass known, (intact) and not truely a main mass. Any
thoughts on this, or is my perspective unfounded
considering it is not a true meteorite till it lands
on the Earth?
                                    Dave