[meteorite-list] Re: (Ron Baalke) Fossil find...

From: Paul Heinrich <lenticulina1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:34 2004

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 20:31:30 -0500 (CDT) ,
Marcia Swanson wrote:

>I guess the trilobite,Mastodon, and more
>recently Kenosha's "Wooly Mammoth" find,
>are what we are most known for. Diamonds
>have been found in these boulders, in
>Burlington,my county, and next city north,
>Racine county. The largest of these weighed
>15-12/32 carats! Their source is unknown,
>but is supposed to be somewhere in Canada.
>If anyones inerested I can give you the
>web-site addresses to verify my comments.

Actually the source of "drift" diamonds has
been found. The geologist, who spent ten
to fifteen years looking for their source
in now a rather wealthy person for his
efforts and patience.

Som web pages;

"Canada is rapidly becoming a world leader in the
production of gemstone-quality diamonds and the
high-tech, high-paying jobs that go with modern
hard-rock mining."

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/communications/otm-fc/diamonds_e.html

LeCheminant, A. N., Richardson, D. G., Dilabio,
R. N. W., and Richardson, K. A., 1996, Searching
for diamonds in Canada. Open-File Report no. 3228.
Geological Survey of Canada. Geological Survey of
Canada. Calgary.

Graham, I., Burgess, J. L., Bryan, D., Ravenscroft,
P. J., Thomas, E. M., Doyle, B. J., Hopkins, R.,
and Armstrong, K. A., 1999, Exploration history
and geology of the Diavik Kimberlites, Lac de Gras,
Northwest Territories, Canada. In Gurney, J. J.,
Gurney, J. L., Pascoe, M. D., and Richardson, S. H.,
1999, The J. B. Dawson volume; proceedings of the
VIIth international kimberlite conference; Volume 1.
Proceedings of the International Kimberlite
Conference 7, vol. 1, pp. 262-279.

Diamonds can found in the Pleistocene chert gravels
along the Red River in northwest Louisiana. They
are likely washing down from somehwere in Arkansas.

Yours,

Paul
Baton Rouge, LA