[meteorite-list] Park Forest Main Mass Status Clarification

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:34 2004

Hi all,

I am in negotiations to purchase a "main mass" but the term might be
misleading here in another way than currently under discussion. The mass I
am working with is the only mass found. No chips, fragments or buts.

So it seems to me that a true main mass would require a comparison mass,
thus other known masses of the same fall would need to exist.

Therefore, if there is a known subdivision of the largest mass (either by
man or nature (saw or ceiling joist)) then the term main mass would need a
qualifier such as "original" or "suspected" or "current" or even possibly
"theoretical" in order to apply to the single largest piece known either
intact or as related pieces. For if the pieces did not constitute the whole
in a main mass situation, then it seems absurd that if one glued all the
related pieces together in their appropriate position, and that reassembled
mass was larger than the other known naturally intact mass of the same fall
but of a different impact area, then the currently blurred semantic lines
would become almost transparent based upon any number of different
interpretations, an thus useless as a stand-alone term.

While I greatly respect Dr. Grossman's opinion, I feel the application of a
threshold of size comparison will not allow precision to this definition in
the long run. For example, if a 2x requirement used, would a 1.999x specimen
not also qualify? Then what about a 1.998x? And so on? I would offer the
same argument for the 50% threshold as well. Especially with all the
uncertainty about total known weights.

Instead, I think that the main mass term should be use sparingly and with
qualifiers. As we all discovered with the hot desert meteorites, often the
"main mass" was in the eye of the beholder, or even the number painter. As
long as there is no attempt to hide information, or mislead meteorite
aficionados, the term maim mass is a useful concept and one that just needs
a little clarification. Just as I see Adam is doing.

As with dinosaurs, we are all looking for the "ests". You know, largest,
smallest, oldest, longest, tallest, etc.ests. An I certainly see nothing
wrong with that.

Cheers,

Martin