[meteorite-list] Park Forest Main Mass Status

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:34 2004

Dear List Members,

When documenting a strewn field if it can be proven that fragments came from
a single stone the entire weight is recorded. The Bensour main mass was
found in three main pieces yet it still qualifies as the main mass because
it can be proven that all the pieces where one unit before it impacted the
ground thus the weight of all the fragments are combined. If you separate
one or more of the fragments they are no less part of the main mass.
Ninninger found several main masses that where fragmented and he always
combined and recorded the weight if it could be proven to be part of the
same mass before it struck the ground.

It can only be stated that the Jones' stone is the largest intact fragment
of the fall. This does not qualify it for Main Mass status because it is
not the largest recorded meteorite from the fall. What good would it do to
map a strewn field if all the fragments where not taken into account that
incidentally broke off when it hit an object?

I hope this clarifies the issue.

All the best,

Adam and Greg Hupe