[meteorite-list] MUSES-C Overall Test Completed

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:34 2004

http://www.isas.ac.jp/e/new/release/2003/04_07.html

MUSES-C Monthly Report No. 4
MUSES-C Overall Test Completed
ISAS
April 25, 2003

The overall test of MUSES-C was completed in early March 2003. The explorer
was dispatched from Sagamihara on March 12 and arrived safely at the launch
site in Kagoshima on March 15. Inertia values such as weight and moment of
inertia were measured at the final stage of the test and we were able to
confirm that the actual weight matched the initial estimate by accumulative
calculation.

As final test day neared, the number of visitors gradually increased, most
likely because of the wide press coverage. Most visitors first impression
was a disappointed "Oh...!" I guess they all imagined a far bigger
satellite, because of the difficulties it had been through. The impressions
changed over time. For example, "I'm surprised it is equipped with many
things on the outside..." When they saw the golden MLI
(Multi-Layer-Insulation) peculiar to the satellite, many visitors noticed
and asked, "Why are there different portions of metallic luster, or
blackish areas?" A good question. This is the unprecedented thermal control
technology that is not so obvious but will be tested in the mission. We
expect that visitors will be very interested in it.

>From end March to early April, the 60kg-xenon gas filling was performed in
Kagoshima. Since the new ion engine can be exposed to air, the filling
operation is very smooth. The final preparation for the launcher system is
planned from end April.