[meteorite-list] They be burnin"

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:55 2004

Dear List;
To coin a popular term from Jim and Dave at Meteorite Times, I am trying
to ferret out the burned rocks that I keep finding.
Has anyone deliberately burned meteorites in a camp fire (no, I am not
drunk, or stoned)? Have any of the nomads of the hot deserts ever
brought in any meteorite that were roasted in a camp fire, meaning used
as fire ring rocks? I find what appears to be sand stone, but it is
magnetic. It seems that the native americans used these rocks for
cooking and for fire ring rocks. They seem out of place but other than
some attraction to a strong magnet, they don't really look at all like
meteorites. I am trying to determine what melted chondrites look like.
befuddled,
Dave Freeman