[meteorite-list] Volcano Bombs & Impact Breccia Identification

From: mark ferguson <refam_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:55 2004

Hello Mark and List

Bombs are typically highly vessiculated magmas. What
you may be thinking of are ejected "old" magmas which
are ripped from the walls of a volcanic vent and would
have shapes that are irregular if not just plain
blocky. These differ from bombs in that they are from
previous events and may be breciated magmas, and that
becomes then a problem to determine origin other than
terrestrial. Bombs on the other hand, will usually be
of freshly melted material and can be very frothy in
texture as well as having aerodynamic forms. Both
types can occur in an eruption, but I'd expect ash to
be the more common found with old magma ejecta.
Mark