[meteorite-list] Some initial observations and OPINIONS of a collecter

From: Steve Witt <stelor96_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:55 2004

(I sent this post last night, but I don't think it made it through
Sorry if this is a duplicate.)

Greetings List,

Having a great time, wish you were here!! I really mean that. This
has been the ride of a lifetime. I've had 12 hours of sleep since
Thursday, just split a pizza with my dog and thought I'd take a
minute and share a couple of things with all of you. All of the
following is my opinion only. There is more than enough
misinformation flying around.

 I just spent about an hour at the microscope to take a look at some
of the Park Forest I've been scrambling for in the last few days.
Some neat stuff. My first impressions of this fall were LL6 (it does
indeed look a lot like Kilabo), light gray matrix, black veins, but
I'm also seeing a quite a bit of troilite in these pieces. A lot more
than I've seen in Kilabo. Others that want to share, please chime in.
I'm also seeing two very distinct litholigies. Now, granted I only
have one specimen of Kilabo and again I'm just a rookie. The other is
nearly black in appearance and looks to be, dare I say it, a melt.
Just to give myself, and you a quick comparsion I grabbed about 60
small pieces of specimens. Total weight ~16.5 grams. These were found
in various areas of Park Forest. I divided them into 3 groups, the
ones that look like Kilabo + Troilite, let's call them "regular". The
ones that look like melt and some pieces that are about 50/50. (I
hope all of this scientific jargon isn't confusing you);) This is how
it broke down. Regular 3.7 grams, Melt 8 grams and 50/50 4.8 grams.

Now I'm not saying this is the trend, all told it seems that the vast
majority of what I've seen in the last 4 days has been the "regular",
but there is something going on with this that I cant wait to get
some clarification on. "Steve Witt says it's a melt"!! No, I'm
saying that there's something a little different going on with Park
Forest. Just my opinion, would love to hear some comments. I do plan
on selling some of this, I hope everyone can get a specimen, and
everyone comes away happy. I'm now officially nearly comatose, so
will post more when I next return from Park Forest. If anyone wants
to write a book on this fall and wants some stories that are
absolutely beyond belief (and want to spend a couple of hours on the
phone with me let me know). This has been, without a doubt the most
memorable four days of my life. Good night.

Take care,
Steve

=====
Steve Witt