[meteorite-list] Park Forest meteorite debacle - whats a fair price?

From: M come Meteorite Meteorites <mcomemeteorite2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:53 2004

Crazy, over the price of a historical fall.....for me
a price of $7/gr. max. is ok. No over. If is fall many
kilos is another question.
regards

Matteo

--- Tim Heitz <midwestmeteor_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I got a call from a man that lives right in the
> area of which the
> > meteorite fell. He told me that a guy had setup in
> a parking lot and
> > was paying $1.00 PER GRAM
> > He wanted to know how much they were really worth.
> >
> > What do you think the answer should have been?
> >
> > Later he told me he had three big pieces and he
> thought $1.00 PER GRAM
> > was not enough.
> >

> > Tim Heitz
> >

> > Michael Farmer wrote:
> >
> >> Hello everyone, a little news from the
> strewnfield. The news is not
> >> good. The people here all think that they are
> millionaires, they all
> >> want $10 to $20 gram now. The police chief tols
> Steve Witt to leave
> >> or be arrested as they think he robbed a
> meteorite finder by paying
> >> several dollars per gram! The news has stated
> that they are worth
> >> $500 per ounce ~$15 gram. The Museum in Chicago
> has not helped,
> >> stating that dealers are here to rip the locals
> off and that they
> >> should "donate all the pieces" to the
> university/museum.
> >> I have been in 6 homes today that were
> penetrated by meteorites,
> >> serious damage to many of them. There are many
> pieces but as I said,
> >> people now want $100,000 for some stones and they
> are NOT JOKING.
> >> I wish anyone who plans to come out good luck, I
> will hunt tomorrow
> >> and try to secure a stone or two, then go home
> and let people get to
> >> reality.
> >> I do have 4 pieces totaling about one kilo, 3
> pieces that hit a house
> >> and damaged the siding. The other piece is a half
> individual that
> >> impacted the median in a road, and has the nose
> imbedded with yellow
> >> street paint. I do not know if there will be any
> out for sale any
> >> time soon, the price is so high we are just
> walking away from many
> >> people.
> >> A few got a few cheap specimens, but very few. If
> any will come for
> >> sale from me, it will likely be quite expensive.
> I do not know what
> >> the next few days hold, more pieces should be
> found though so maybe
> >> we will have more luck.
> >> I will email more info later.
> >> Mike Farmer

=====
M come Meteorite - Matteo Chinellato
Email: mcomemeteorite2000_at_yahoo.it
Sale Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.com Collection Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.info
MSN Messanger: spacerocks_at_hotmail.com
EBAY.COM:http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mcomemeteorite_at_excite.it/