[meteorite-list] Meteor Chunks Crash In South Suburb - Illinois - STONES RECOVERED

From: Mark Langenfeld <mlangen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:52 2004

A recent issue of METEORITICS contains a very interesting paper on the
"ownership" of meteorites. I don't have the specific citation at hand,
but it should be easy to find and I urge everyone to read it.

I think (at least in the U.S.) the owner of the property on which a
meteorite falls owns the meteorite. S/he is free to keep it, sell it or
give it away as they wish. In the Park Forest case, the local
"scientific community" is urging the donation of all of the new finds.

Strictly speaking, the stuff coming to rest on city streets and the fire
department roof belongs to the city. Stones falling on private property
belong to the individual property owners.

Does anyone disagree?

Mark