[meteorite-list] Big-Ass Purple Campo

From: Bill Mason III <bmason3_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:50 2004

Dear Bob and Mike and anybody who wants to kick my big bottom,

Where did the "purple" come from ? I'll explain as best as I can. This
Acrylic conformal spray coating was designed to form a transparent
protective barrier on circut boards and electronic assemblies that would be
impervious to humidity,salt, corrosive vapors and fungus. TheVCI-286
contains an Ultravolet indicator, permitting thourough QC inspection to see
that the surface you coated is completely sealed. I have only observed the
purple color when I happen to be in a light source that is high in actinic
light rays, esp,the violet and ultraviolet spectrum. Outside in a bright sun
in Arizona I'd expect that the UV indicator is working. I'll reformulate and
illiminate the indicator. I don't think you'll see the color with ordinary
interior illumination.
    I'm a bit confused about the neutralizer consentration It doesn't matter
if you use it at 1:10 or 2:20. I just found that my graduates were marked
off in 2 ml. units(easier to read) The VCI in the neutralizer forms a
monmonecular coating on the substrate whichs protects the meteorite.
    The alcohol I use as a water slurper I find that it picks up any water
that I have on my specimen in preparation for the next step.
    If you have different sets of instructions than the 2003uci edition,
toss it. I have learned a great deal from you people and I will continue to
learn I appreciate this feed back it is the only way we can all benefit.

Bill Mason