[meteorite-list] OT - Venus transit of the sun

From: Starbits_at_aol.com <Starbits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:49 2004

       This is a bit off topic, but hopefully somebody out there can confirm
some information for me. My father recently had a diary from my
great-grandmother's step brother translated from the swedish. In it he
states that he got up early on the morning of 6 Dec 1882 to observe the
shadow of venus transiting the sun's disk. I believe he was in or near
Australia at the time. He further states that the next occurance would be
until 6 Jun 2004. Comments?
       It is an interesting document, he also mentions having to stop sailing
at night and only sail during the day due to chunks of pumace in the ocean
from the Krakatoa volcanic explosion in 1883.

Eric Olson
http://www.star-bits.com