[meteorite-list] Largest chondrules I ever saw.

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:49 2004

Dear listees;
During my short visit to the local library to tune up the new library
digital projector, I hooked up the lap top and dropped in a couple of
pictures of some nice chondrite meteorite slices. WoW!! My upcoming
meteorite lecture will be light years ahead of the last one. Digital
quality, and a very large screen are awe inspiring!
If any of you have access to the new digital projectors, to see a 2 inch
square of a L3 chondrite on a 10 foot by 10 foot screen, is like dying
and going to chondrite heaven. My 3 mm chondrule now is 4 inches
across on the screen, with extremely good resolution. The armor ring on
one is 1/2 inch thick. The metal grains were 2 inches across. To
leave the projector and mouse and walk up to the screen for a close look
was almost overwhelming.
Seems this is one great reason to do a meteorite information show at an
institution...getting to use the state of the art projector technology
that I could not afford myself.
What a waste, just the librarian and I were present to see the initial
show. We are expecting a large crowd for the April 3rd. lecture.
Like Alice in wonderland,
Dave Freeman