[meteorite-list] Holbrook print?

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:49 2004

--part1_26.36876a40.2ba92edc_boundary

At the link below is an interesting page from an Italian newspaper issue I
recently acquired. The newspaper is entitled La Domenica del Corriere (which
I believe to be "The Sunday Mail" or some approximation thereof) and this
particular issue is 6 Oct 1946. This issue contains an oversized artist's
rendering of the 1912 Holbrook fall, or at least that is my assumption from
the "Arizona" mention, although it appears that "Mexico" is referenced, as
well. I think it safe to say that this depiction just might be the tiniest
bit exaggerated from reality, but I suppose sensationalism in publishing was
to be found half a century ago, as it is now. The caption along with the
print is transcribed below, and I'm wondering if our Italian list-member(s),
or any others who are familiar with the language, could offer a translation.

http://members.aol.com/sharkkb8/meteorites/1946holbrookprint.jpg

Gregory

Una pioggia di meteoriti. Su un paese dell'Arizona - ai confini del Messico
- proprio durante il passaggio di una carovana, si e abbattuta
improvvisamente una valanga di pietre provenienti nientemento che dagli spazi
siderali. L'inatteso e imprevedibile fenomeno ha provocato un gran panico, e
alcuni uomini sono rimasti schiacciati dai bolidi caduti dal cielo.

--part1_26.36876a40.2ba92edc_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
<BR>
At the link below is an interesting page from an Italian newspaper issue I r=
ecently acquired.&nbsp; The newspaper is entitled <B>La Domenica del Corrier=
e</B> (which I believe to be "The Sunday Mail" or some approximation thereof=
) and this particular issue is 6 Oct 1946.&nbsp; This issue contains an over=
sized artist's rendering of the 1912 Holbrook fall, or at least that is my a=
ssumption from the "Arizona" mention, although it appears that "Mexico" is r=
eferenced, as well.&nbsp; I think it safe to say that this depiction just mi=
ght be the tiniest bit exaggerated from reality, but I suppose sensationalis=
m in publishing was to be found half a century ago, as it is now.&nbsp;&nbsp=
; The caption along with the print is transcribed below, and I'm wondering i=
f our Italian list-member(s), or any others who are familiar with the langua=
ge, could offer a translation.<BR>
<BR>
http://members.aol.com/sharkkb8/meteorites/1946holbrookprint.jpg<BR>
<BR>
Gregory<BR>
<BR>
<I>Una pioggia di meteoriti.&nbsp; Su un paese dell'Arizona - ai confini del=
 Messico - proprio durante il passaggio di una carovana, si e abbattuta impr=
ovvisamente una valanga di pietre provenienti nientemento che dagli spazi si=
derali.&nbsp; L'inatteso e imprevedibile fenomeno ha provocato un gran panic=
o, e alcuni uomini sono rimasti schiacciati dai bolidi caduti dal cielo.</I>=
</FONT></HTML>

--part1_26.36876a40.2ba92edc_boundary--