[meteorite-list] Must Read New Book

From: LJnewpers_at_aol.com <LJnewpers_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:49 2004

While visiting the American Museum in New York I purchased a new book on
meteorites - METEORITES: A Journey Through Space and Time, By Alex Bevan and
John De Laeter, Smithsonian Institution Press, 2002, ISBN 1-58834-021-X.
While in Tucson for THE SHOW I let several friends look through the book, and
nobody had been aware it existed. Martin Horejsi wrote a review in the
February 2003 issue of METEORITE magazine, and I couldn't agree more with his
praise. The authors state: "This book is written for people who are not
scientists." Keeping that in mind, the authors strive diligently to avoid
complex and lengthy definitions, but the extraordinary color diagrams and
photographs will soon have the non-scientist understanding meteorites as
never before. As Horejsi writes, "Simply put, it is a pleasure to let your
eyes glide over the articulate and often poetic words portraying the life of
meteorite science through stories, history, and even the forensic chemistry
that excavates the subatomic past lives from these reclusive cosmic stones."

I've not checked with any local book stores on its availability, but this
beautiful book belongs in your library.

Larry Johnson