[meteorite-list] Get together in Algonquin, Il

From: Steve Witt <stelor96_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:47 2004

Greetings List,

A brief report on the Algonquin Get Together 2003. In attendance
were: Sir Rob Elliot and his beautiful wife Irene, Paul Sipiera
(curator of the DuPont Collection and Antarctic meteorite hunter),
Gregory Wilson (of List fame, and now feared secret CIA operative to
the staff of the bar we were in), STEVE ARNOLD FROM CHICAGO, and of
course me.

I can't speak for everyone, but I think a good time was had by all.
As last year, it was meteorites, food, drinks and lots of jawin'.
Steve Arnold brought a big box of his rare micros as well as some
other nice specimens. Gregory had more lunar material than I've ever
seen in person. Of course, I don't have a chance to hang out with the
"big dogs" much. Rob had a mouth watering selection of Kilabo. Some
really fabulous specimens of this beautiful LL6. We also got a
preview of Rob's new 2004 calendar. If you're a healthy male who
likes meteorites, you WILL want a copy of this calendar!! Check it
out on Rob's website.

I've posted a few pictures of the event as well as the meteorites I
managed to scrounge while I was there. I've included a close up
picture of the Kilabo that I got from Steve. This was a fragment that
I ground a face onto. I think it turned out fantastic! (By the way
(Rob and Gregory), it took all of five minutes to grind and polish
the piece by hand, and the loss was only about 3.5 grams).

I assume Rob will have some Kilabo available soon, but please don't
hold me to that. I hope some of the others will chime in on their
experience there. There are already plans to do it again. To those
that couldn't make it, don't miss the next one!!

Take care,
Steve

Images at:
http://photos.msn.com/viewing/album.aspx?m7A!X9U3q6bynoZEhFj0U1kb*tYqGSlDTz5h2Kut0cNs9nYBxY!KHNp0Die3NUV6pkGX!gWMNjY2zrPukojQICpFw8MrGsE3JsZma1LoemHelmZxBkPtVg$$