[meteorite-list] Use of magnets for meteorite hunting

From: mafer <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:45 2004

Hi Robert and list

I'm curious about this latent magnetic field. If its anything like that used
for paleomag, of what real interest is it except that the meteorite came
from a body large enough to develope a magnetic field which, if my
understanding of magnetics is fair enough would only tell you the body
developed a field. And this may be debatable if there was enough heat around
the area where the meteorite came from that the field isn't "set in stone"
because of a major impact or something ripped the parent body apart (as may
be the case with irons and mesosiderites and such). If the rock is still
plastic when this occurs, the field is subject to many other factors and may
not even represent the parent body's field anyway.
Mark