[meteorite-list] Re: Dealer Refunds

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:43 2004

Hello Steve, Geoff et al,
Anyone that has been in the meteorite business, whether a buyer or seller,
knows that a price correction almost always follows the initial offering of
a new meteorite. A few days after the Park Forest fall when someone was
complaining about what they perceived as inflated prices, several list
members, including myself predicted there would be a reduction in price
within a month or so. My prediction was really just preaching to a well
informed choir - after all, everyone SHOULD know about price changes on a
new meteorite. Any dealer (or non-rookie collector) that doesn't have a
good grip on this concept is going to have a rocky ride through life.

Remember the Christmas season a few years back that some folks just "had to
have" the "Tickle me Elmo" doll? They were selling for upwards of
$500.00. Six months later they were back at the original retail price of
about $30.00.

  Thank goodness that the majority of people in this business are easy to
deal with and are people of integrity. You don't have to be a rocket
scientist (or a meteorite scientist) to understand this very elementary
business rule.

Anyone want my $8.00 per gram Brahin?

Best,

John