[meteorite-list] Dealer Refunds

From: CMcdon0923_at_aol.com <CMcdon0923_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:43 2004

--part1_1a0.171b1ccd.2c2e62f1_boundary

Let me comment from a collector's viewpoint.....

The person asking you to refund their money is an idiot. I've bought several
meteorites that have declined in price. (Anyone want to buy 0.5 gram of
Zagami at $1500 per gram?) And while my transaction took place a few years ago
(at the height of the ALH84001 craze), I bought it and that's my problem.

If I want to buy a piece of meteorite "X", I look around for who has some for
sale. If only one dealer is offering it, I look at their price and decide if
I wish to pay it. If so, and a few weeks/months later I see it for
less....Oh well...tough crap. If more than one dealer has it, then the aesthetics of
the pieces available must be considered. Sometimes the cheapest specimen is
cheapest for a reason.

If you guarantee authenticity for life (which I think/hope you do), that's
another thing, but for this person to ask you to refund their price after this
long, and after TELLING you that they found it cheaper (?!?!)....well, that's
not too bright on their part.

The only thing you might want to consider is the possibility of this person
becoming a return customer. But then again, if this is their modus operandi,
maybe you don't want them as a customer.

Just my 2 grams worth.....

Craig

--part1_1a0.171b1ccd.2c2e62f1_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Let me comment from a collector's viewpoint.....<BR>
<BR>
The person asking you to refund their money is an idiot.&nbsp; I've bought s=
everal meteorites that have declined in price.&nbsp; (Anyone want to buy 0.5=
 gram of Zagami at $1500 per gram?)&nbsp; And while my transaction took plac=
e a few years ago (at the height of the ALH84001 craze), I bought it and tha=
t's my problem.<BR>
<BR>
If I want to buy a piece of meteorite "X", I look around for who has some fo=
r sale.&nbsp; If only one dealer is offering it, I look at their price and d=
ecide if I wish to pay it.&nbsp; If so, and a few weeks/months later I see i=
t for less....Oh well...tough crap.&nbsp; If more than one dealer has it, th=
en the aesthetics of the pieces available must be considered.&nbsp; Sometime=
s the cheapest specimen is cheapest for a reason.<BR>
<BR>
If you guarantee authenticity for life (which I think/hope you do), that's a=
nother thing, but for this person to ask you to refund their price after thi=
s long, and after TELLING you that they found it cheaper (?!?!)....well, tha=
t's not too bright on their part.<BR>
<BR>
The only thing you might want to consider is the possibility of this person=20=
becoming a return customer.&nbsp; But then again, if this is their modus ope=
randi, maybe you don't want them as a customer.<BR>
<BR>
Just my 2 grams worth.....<BR>
<BR>
Craig</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1a0.171b1ccd.2c2e62f1_boundary--