[meteorite-list] Ad - Weekly Rare Material

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:42 2004

Dear List Members,

It is our pleasure to announce another Mesosiderite, NWA 1879 (provisional).
This new Mesosiderite differs from the last Stony-Iron we introduced called
NWA 1878 (provisional). We posted a couple of images earlier this week
showing beautiful crystal clusters scattered throughout its matrix. We took
the image of the prepared slice in a way that did not show the metal and
this caused all kinds of wild guesses to come in. It also generated emails
from some dealers who claim to have some of this material which may be true.

The problem is that we now have three completely different Mesosiderites
from the desert in our inventory. We know this sounds crazy because of the
rarity of this class but they came from three sources and are completely
different in texture. When scientists announced none of them were paired
with each other we were even more impressed. We have been pursuing some of
these for over a year. A false rumor of a giant Lodranite has been spread
throughout the dealer community causing even more confusion. Then to top it
off, a metal-rich Diogenite has been found that closely resembles a
Mesosiderite. It is our belief that the metal-rich Diogenite is being
confused with a Mesosiderite or a Lodranite in the field. Some are even try
to sell it as a Lodranite in Morocco. As far as we know only one Lodranite
has ever been found in the Sahara. We know this because we have it in our
inventory, its find location has been kept very secret, it came directly
from a village not a middleman, no other laboratories have reported coming
across one and it is awaiting O-Isotope testing. It looks nothing like a
Mesosiderite. The only comments we can make on the metal-rich Diogenite is
that it looks just like a Mesosiderite but the FeO/MnO ratio support it
being a Diogenite. The ratios on NWA 1879 support it being a Mesosiderite.
Both our Mesosiderite and the metal-rich Diogenite were studied in the same
laboratory so if they were paired we would know about it. We hope this
helps to clear up some confusion regarding this material.

We want to further lessen the confusion regarding all of these rarities so
we are sending secondary type specimens to the labs studying anything
remotely similar for other dealers. If they find any pairings we will be
happy to report what they found.

Now, to see this gorgeous new meteorite, look at the NWA 1879 listings on
the eBay link below:

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/meteoritelab/

We will be receiving a shipment later this week with a generous amount of
the new metal-rich Diogenite. If anybody is interested we will be happy to
prepare specimens up to 2,500 grams and distribute it in polished
thin-sliced form if desired. It will be sometime late this summer before we
can distribute any of the Lodranite because of O-Isotope testing. We were
going to save the Lodranite for a Denver surprise but since there is already
talk about this rare beast we thought we would mention it now in order to
clear up any confusion.

Wishing everybody the very best,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection